Hungarian font problem

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Hungarian font problem

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I modified the Glyph Transform script to add combining ogonek, combining cedilla, combining double acute, etc., by editing the first Insert Characters part of the script.
Insert Accents.png
Insert Accents.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

Code: Select all

567, 699, 700, 710, 711, 713-715, 717, 728, 759, 768-789, 803-808, 817, 7838
I modified the third part of the script to use Anchor-based Complete Composites instead of CompositeData based composition.
Anchor Based Complete Composites.png
Anchor Based Complete Composites.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
This left a few composites empty, such as Dcroat, but one can just use Complete Composites with CompositeData on those later.

The anchors were added wherever needed, as shown in this example of u double acute.
Lowercase u Double Acute.png
Lowercase u Double Acute.png (26.69 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
The TTF font that I started with was an ancient Bitstream font from WordPerfect, which had no anchors, no combining diacritical marks, and no OpenType features apart from kerning, but it did have some of the required glyph modifier accents.
Aldine 401 Italic.png
Aldine 401 Italic.png (124.38 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
The transform script needs some further refinement, but it does the job well enough for me.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
mykee

Post by mykee »

Great thanks for help!
I found a solution by your steps:
- created a new script based on your description, ran it first
- in the second step I selected Empty Composite characters on root, and Complete Composites -> Composite data
- in the third step I selected the Composite characters on root, and Complete Composites -> Anchor based
- in the fourth step I selected Composite characters on root again, and Complete Composites -> Auto
- in the fifth step I only had to specify the position of the doubleacutecomb
and done!

I couldn't automate this with a script, because there is no step to select only the newly added characters, but this should do the extension.

Many, many thanks for great help, tutorials, and your time!
Attachments
Eastern Europe new.xml
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by mykee on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

mykee wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:34 pmI couldn't automate this with a script, because there is no step to select only the newly added characters, but this should do the extension.
See my first screenshot: Apply subsequent features to the new characters (will override range)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
mykee

Post by mykee »

Thank you, I updated my steps above, because after running the script I have to replace the Empty Composite characters first, then the anchor based attachment for all composites, finally the accents are almost perfectly placed with the Auto setting.
mykee

Post by mykee »

I found a trick to restore the accents more accurately. In the Eastern Europe script, you have to put the doubleacutecomb character in the first composite group, and then you get the anchor correctly in the second composite. I have attached the pure Hungarian script, which works for me, and you don't have to do the multiple composite step afterwards.
If the accents do slip, you must select a Composite Data menu on the Empy characters and they will be restored.

Update1:
I have modified the script (it became Hungarian only.xml). I also added a note, because some fonts are missing the dieresis (code-points: 168) and acomb (code-points: 180) characters.
In such cases, the following steps should be taken:
- insert the characters 168 and 180
- create the two new characters
- run the Hungarian only.xml script
- select them all in the Composite group and select Composite Data
- Select all in Composite group and Anchor Based
- change the position of the acutecomb, doubleacutecomb and doubleacutemod if necessary
Attachments
Hungarian only.xml
(946 Bytes) Downloaded 115 times