Design of lowercase alternate ending glyphs in the Arno font

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Design of lowercase alternate ending glyphs in the Arno font

Post by William »

I was studying in detail the design of the lowercase alternate ending glyphs in the Arno font, by looking at the lowercase alternate ending glyphs displayed in the following document at large magnifications.

http://store1.adobe.com/type/browser/pd ... egular.pdf

I noticed something which I find interesting and thought that maybe some readers might like to know of it.

There are twelve designs for eleven unaccented latin characters, there being two designs for the t character.

a d e g h m n r t t u z

I first noticed that the top of the end of the swash part of the h curves downwards from left to right whereas the top of the swash part of the m curves upwards from left to right.

Of the other characters, some have the top of the end of the swash part of the glyph curving downwards and some have the top of the end of the swash part of the glyph curving upwards.

There are also other differences: for example, the top of the end of the swash part of the d curves upwards at a steeper angle than does the top of the end of the swash part of the m.

William Overington

23 June 2008