Do you include glyphs for any historical ligatures in fonts?

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Do you include glyphs for any historical ligatures in fonts?

Post by William »

Do you include glyphs for any historical ligatures (for example, long s ligatures) in any of your fonts?

William Overington

5 August 2008
Character55

Do you include ...

Post by Character55 »

To all of your "do you include ..." questions, the only possible answer is: "It depends". It's like asking whether you include faces in your paintings. Is it appropriate to the style of the font or its intended use? Etc.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: Do you include ...

Post by Dave Crosby »

Character55 wrote:To all of your "do you include ..." questions, the only possible answer is: "It depends". It's like asking whether you include faces in your paintings. Is it appropriate to the style of the font or its intended use? Etc.
Amen!
Aut nunc aut nunquam
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

There is a way of speaking that is widespread in English where the word "you" is used instead of another word. For example, often "you" is used instead of "one" or "someone". It can even occur in interviews in television news broadcasts with the word "you" being used instead of "the government". For example, something like "You can't just put tax up just anytime you feel like it".

I wonder if my question is being read as meaning "Should someone include glyphs for any historical ligatures (for example, long s ligatures) in any of his or her fonts?".

Indeed, some people would use "their" instead of "his or her" and some people would just use "his".

Yet I used the word "you" to mean "you".

My own answer would be as follows.

Yes, I include glyphs for some historical ligatures in some of my fonts, though not all of my fonts. For example, my Quest text font and my Chronicle Text fonts both include a number of historical ligatures.

So, I was seeking a collection of individual answers perhaps expanded with links to fonts or to graphics made from the fonts.

Indeed, I was hoping that this thread would also increase interest in historical ligatures and would lead to some people adding them to their own fonts.

I hope that this helps.

William Overington

15 August 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Next Question

Post by Dick Pape »

I make fonts, but I don't make alphabets. Last time I made an alphabet I completed much of the upper case and stopped... no LC, numbers, specials or Cyrillic. I didn't publish...

Thus, I don't include ligatures, historical, traditional, ancient, modern, unusual or normal in my fonts.