Solution to a puzzle with a purpose.

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Solution to a puzzle with a purpose.

Post by William »

In the thread, "A puzzle with a purpose" I posed a puzzle.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2699

This thread contains the solution to the puzzle.

Readers who have not tried the puzzle and would like to do so before reading the solution may like to follow the above link before reading any more in this thread.

Here is a copy of the image from the puzzle thread.
Fourteen glyphs representing colours, in random order
Fourteen glyphs representing colours, in random order
locse005_random_order.png (25.78 KiB) Viewed 5717 times
The puzzle is to try to deduce the order in which the glyphs representing the colours are displayed in the graphic.

The fourteen colours, in definition order, not the order in the graphic, are black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, magenta, grey, white, cyan, pink, dark grey, light grey.

The order that they are shown in the graphic is as follows.

orange, green, dark grey, magenta, brown

grey, blue, light grey, black, white

cyan, yellow, pink, red

Some of the glyphs representing colours are directly derived from those in the Petra Sancta system, for example, red, yellow, green, blue, magenta.

Some of the glyphs representing colours are different from those in the Petra Sancta system, for example, black, white. For black, I did not want a solid black area nor an almost solid hatching. For white, I did not want an empty space.

Some of the glyphs representing colours are my own designs, derived from others that are themselves derived from the Petra Sancta system, for example, brown, orange, cyan.

Some of the glyphs representing colours are based on my design for white, for example, grey, light grey, dark grey, pink.

William Overington

19 May 2009