Maestro Pro

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Maestro Pro

Post by William »

Recently an issue of the Fonts.com newsletter arrived by email. The email included mention of a font named Maestro.

There is a facility for subscribing to the newsletter in the lower left of the following web page.

http://www.fonts.com/

Here is a link to a page about the Maestro font in the Fonts.com webspace.

http://www.fonts.com/FindFonts/Detail.h ... COPE=Fonts

Clicking on Character Map leads to the following page.

Selecting Private Use Area in the selection box labelled Select Unicode Range: produces the first page of several pages of swash characters and ligatures mapped into the Private Use Area.

In the top row, fourth along from the left, is a rather nice swash A. It is mapped to U+E003.

Microsoft Calculator, in View Scientific mode, allows conversion from hexadecimal to decimal.
Thus E003 hexadecimal is 57347.

Using Microsoft WordPad and Alt 57347 with the Arial font here produces a black rectangle, yet I can highlight it and then use Edit Copy so as to get that character onto the clipboard.

Going back to the Maestro font page, clicking onto the Try Font link leads to the following page.

One can then use CTRL v to paste the character from the clipboard into the text area and then click on the Change Sample Text button and the swash A is displayed. I then changed the size to 72 point and tried again.

Then I tried the word Astrolabe.

Now I am hoping to look for an st ligature and try that too.

William Overington

19 January 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Maestro Pro

Post by William »

Some readers might like to know of the following.

U+E9D5 is a swash st ligature Alt 59861 

U+E68F is a swash ct ligature Alt 59023 

U+E6E6 is a swash end of word e Alt 59110 

So, the word Distinctive, followed by a space and then by the word Distinctive where the st and the ct and the e have all been replaced using appropriate characters from the Private Use Area for this particular font, is as follows.

Distinctive Diiniv

Copying and pasting into the text area in the Try Font facility and clicking the Change Sample Text button produces two versions of the word Distinctive side by side.

Similarly for the word Astrolabe.

Astrolabe rolab

I found that 48 point gave good results that fitted in the space available.

Later I tried the following at 72 point.

rolab

William Overington

19 January 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

U+E86B is a swash lowercase l Alt 59499 

Astrolabe roab

Ah, the effect is that the swash lowercase l hits the top of the b.

However, it works well in the following.

Australia uraia

William Overington

20 January 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Some readers may remember the thread An unusual glyph of an Esperanto character in the Arno font.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2229

The following line of poetry was mentioned.

En la ĝardeno de monaĥ

There should be an apostrophe at the end.

En la ĝardeno de monaĥ’

Well, the Maestro Pro font has several swash glyphs for ĥ.

They are located in the range U+E7E3 to U+E7EF, Alt 59363 through to Alt 59375.

Yes, 13 of them!

Their potential uses vary as one, maybe two, are for only the start of a word and some, four of them, only for the finish of a word.

Page 7 of the character map displays them all, about three-quarters of the way down the table, though one, U+E7E7 is clipped at the top in the table, but it is an h circumflex and, with care, works well in the Try Font facility.

U+E7E7 Alt 59367 

It can be displayed by copying the following two lines as a pair and pasting them into the text area of the Try Font facility and then clicking the Change Sample Text button.

En la ĝardeno de monaĥ’
En la ĝardeno de mona’

Four of them appear to be suitable only for use at the end of a word. That is an amazing amount of choice for such a rarely used character and then in such a rarely used circumstance. Wow!

William Overington

20 January 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Is there a lowercase p with a swash extended serif at the base of the descender?

Page 9 of the Private Use Area character map has 8 lowercase p glyphs, however the lower end of the descender is not shown for any of them in the character map.

They are in U+E96B through to U+E972. That is Alt 59755 through to Alt 59762.

Before looking at the lower end of the descender, the first 5 appear to be for general use, the next 2 for the end of a word and the final 1 for the start of a word.

In order to try them all, eight characters are needed, with an ordinary p at the start for comparison.

p

However, testing shows that some spacing between them gives a better display. However, as spaces might not all get through in this web page and some readers might like to copy and paste, I have used full stops for spacing.

p....................................

The following use of two of them works for the following.

Typographer Tyograher

Yet does not work for the following.

Typography Tyograhy

So change the second p.

Typography Tyograhy

That is much better.

William Overington

21 January 2010
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

William, when I try to read your posts the Maestro Pro glyphs have disappeared. There is no meaning as a result.
In order to try them all, eight characters are needed, with an ordinary p at the start for comparison.

p

However, testing shows that some spacing between them gives a better display. However, as spaces might not all get through in this web page and some readers might like to copy and paste, I have used full stops for spacing.

p....................................

The following use of two of them works for the following.
Dick
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Hi Dick

Yes, in the High-Logic forum, the special alternate glyphs may well appear as black boxes or, as in now happening here recently, though I do not think that I have changed anything, as black boxes each with four hexadecimal characters indicating the codepoint.

What is needed is to copy onto the clipboard the string of characters from the forum and then go to the Try Font facility, by accessing the last link in the first post of this thread and then selecting the Try Font tab, and then pasting into the text area and then clicking on the Change Sample Text button. It starts at 32 point but one can alter the size and have another go so as to get a different display.

I copied the two versions of the word Distinctive onto the clipboard and then followed the above process so as to produce a display and then changed the size to 48 point and clicked the button again. I then did a Print Screen and used Microsoft Paint to make a png, which png I am hoping to add to this post. Ah, previewing this post shows that the picture is a bit too large for the forum but I will not scale it as that might spoil the display: please use the scroll bars to have a look around the graphic.

I did not add graphics of the results from the Try Font facility before for two reasons. One was that I was unsure whether it was alright to use the facility to make a graphic for this thread, and the other was that I thought that it would be best for readers to have the pleasure of producing the display and hopefully enjoying the moment rather than just having displays in the thread.

William Overington

21 January 2010
distinctive.png
distinctive.png (21.76 KiB) Viewed 10233 times
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I wonder what alternate lowercase g glyphs are available in the font.

Page 7 of the character map of the Private Use Area for the font.

There appear to be 9, from U+E78D to U+E795, however the lower end of the descender is not shown for any of them in the character map. I wonder what is there! That is Alt 59277 through to Alt 59285.

g

However, in order to get a good display, the following is better.

g.......................
...........................

The first 7 of the alternate glyphs appear to be for general use, the next 1 for the end of a word and the final 1 for the start of a word.

Being interested in Esperanto I noted that there appears to be a corresponding set of 9 glyphs for g circumflex from U+E7A1 to U+E7A9. That is Alt 59297 through to Alt 59305.

Previously I had the following.

En la ĝardeno de monaĥ’
En la ĝardeno de mona’

Try to replace the ĝ with the third of the alternates, the one that seems likely to be located at U+E7A3. That particular one is chosen solely because of my thinking that it might look good in the sentence. So Alt 59299 is needed. 

En la ardeno de mona’

Yes, it is a circumflex accented version of the third alternate g.

I also found the following on the web.

http://www.canadatype.com/showfont.php?id=175

http://www.canadatype.com/news/0909.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludovico_V ... li_Arrighi

William Overington

23 January 2010