PCLETTO(PCL Embedded True Type Outlines) to TTF ?

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
tal6499

PCLETTO(PCL Embedded True Type Outlines) to TTF ?

Post by tal6499 »

Hi,

I am in the process of converting a PCLETTO to TTF.

I have the following data in hand fom PCLETTO:

head Font header (in PCL GT segment)
hhea Horizontal header (in PCL GT segment)
hmtx Horizontal metrics (in PCL GT segment)
maxp Maximum profile (in PCL GT segment

cvt Control Value Table (in PCL GT segment but only required for hinted fonts only, may not be found in ttf)
fpgm Font program (in PCL GT segment but only required for hinted fonts only, may not be found in ttf)
glyf Glyph data (in PCL char definitions)
loca Index to location (in PCL char definitions)
prep CVT Program (in PCL GT segment but only required for hinted fonts only, may not be found in ttf)

According to Microsoft OpenType documentation:
cmap,OS/2 and post table is also required. cmap can be figured out to some extent. But i am curious about post & OS/2.
Whether any other tables are required? Or Will it work if i build the mentioned tables for TTF.

--Note: This post is related to a design decision before actual implementation. I am wondering that PCLETTO to TTF might not be actually possible. But it would be a great learning experience if its discussed here and a proper solution can be figured out.---
Erwin Denissen

Re: PCLETTO(PCL Embedded True Type Outlines) to TTF ?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

tal6499 wrote:According to Microsoft OpenType documentation:
cmap,OS/2 and post table is also required. cmap can be figured out to some extent. But i am curious about post & OS/2.
Whether any other tables are required? Or Will it work if i build the mentioned tables for TTF.
The post table is no longer that important, so it is easiest to use post table version 3.0.
The OS/2 table is required, but with a standard font, you should not have a lot of trouble defining the correct values.
Don't forget the name table.
You can leave out the hinting tables (cvt, fpgm, and prep).

In the end what counts is the outlines, so if you can get a good glyf table then it is possible to do the conversion.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology