Pantone Colour of the Year for 2013 and fonts

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Pantone Colour of the Year for 2013 and fonts

Post by William »

Pantone has announced its Colour of the Year for 2013.

It is Emerald.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/pa ... 1056&ca=10

So, I decided to try setting the word Emerald using my Sonnet Calligraphic font, also thinking as to whether I could design some more glyphs for the font in order to display the word Emerald more stylishly.

The word Emerald is interesting because it seems to me that the only opportubities for calligraphy are the capital E and the letters lowerce l and d, yet the lowercase l and the d are together.

Most of the calligraphic alternates for the letter d in the Sonnet Calligraphic 046 font have the ascender of the d curving back to the left, so they would clash with a calligraphic alternate of lowercase l.

The following illustrations show what I have set using the existing Sonnet Calligraphic 046 font. One illustration makes use of the fact that the d is at the end of the word and uses a swash alternate glyph that is in Sonnet Calligraphic as a result of being a swash alternate in the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font from which Sonnet Calligraphic was first of all derived.

I needed to find the CMYK values for Emerald.

I found them on the last page of the Pantone fashion color report spring 2013.

Emerald PANTONE 17–5641 CMYK 86.8.57.0

end quote

So I used C=86, M=8, Y=57, K=0.

I used Serif PagePlus version X4 to make the illustrations. I started by adding the Emerald colour to the palette of the publication. In Serif PagePlus one designs a publication. This can be printed to hardcopy or a pdf document can be produced. However, Serif PagePlus also allows one to export an object as a graphic file, so one can draw a text frame on a page of the publication, add some text to it and then export a graphic of just the frame and its contents.
emerald_001.png
emerald_001.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 11599 times
emerald_002.png
emerald_002.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 11599 times
emerald_003.png
emerald_003.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 11599 times
William Overington

6 December 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Pantone Colour of the Year for 2013 and fonts

Post by William »

After making the above post I produced a new version of the Sonnet Calligraphic font, namely Sonnet Calligraphic 047.

The Sonnet Calligraphic 047 font adds one glyph, namely a calligraphic d that is designed for use in the word Emerald.

This morning I have tried the font in Serif PagePlus version X4 and I have produced the following graphic.

emerald_004.png
emerald_004.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
William Overington

7 December 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Pantone Colour of the Year for 2013 and fonts

Post by William »

The Sonnet Calligraphic 047 font is available at the following post in this forum.

viewtopic.php?p=17690#p17690

William Overington

7 December 2012