Abstract emoji as applied modern art

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Suppose that there are three abstract emoji defined.

These are designated as ae78901, ae78902 and ae78903.

Suppose that they can each be communicated within a plain text message by either a graphic or by a markup bubble constructed of a sequence of plain text characters.

Please find three graphic files attached to this post, showing the designs for the abstract emoji. These particular glyphs are each designed as a bit map design on a 7 by 7 grid. The graphic files are presented as 16 pixel by 16 pixel png files, made using the Microsoft Paint program, in the hope that that size will be of practical use.

Suppose that the markup bubble for the three abstract emoji is respectively as follows.

::78901:;

::78902:;

::78903:;

Each markup bubble is nine characters, namely two colons, five digits then a colon and a semicolon.

Suppose that the Localization Label in English for the three abstract emoji is respectively as follows.

The following person is staying at your hotel.

Please deliver the following message to that person.

The message is now complete.

Suppose that an example of use is as follows.

::78901:;
Margaret Gattenford
::78902:;
Dear Margaret
The framed print that you ordered has now arrived.
Yours sincerely
Albert
::78903:;

The message, in this example in English, could be in any language that can be represented using Unicode.

The hotel staff do not need to be able to understand the language used in the message in order to deliver it, all they need is to understand the meaning of the abstract emoji glyphs and be able to recognize the 789 sequences if the abstract emoji arrive in abstract text form.

In speech, when referring to a 789 sequence, please say, "seven-eight-nine sequence", localized into your own language.

The graphic files each show the glyph with a white border around them. If implementing the glyphs in an OpenType font please align the lower black edge of the glyph with the baseline of the font. The glyphs in the font would be unmapped and accessed by glyph substitution in the dlig table of the font using the nine-character markup bubble.

The markup bubble sequences have been designed so as to be, as far as is possible, language and script independent.

The designs are abstract yet sometimes influenced. For example, the designs for ae78902 and ae78903 are influenced by quotation marks.

This is intended as an open experiment.

Readers are welcome, if they so choose, to post a Localization Label for each of the three glyphs using whichever language they choose and to make fonts including the glyphs.

Readers are also welcome, if they so choose, to design and post more abstract emoji.

William Overington

20 August 2014
ae78901.png
ae78901.png (133 Bytes) Viewed 14884 times
ae78902.png
ae78902.png (136 Bytes) Viewed 14884 times
ae78903.png
ae78903.png (136 Bytes) Viewed 14884 times
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Abstract emoji as applied modern art

Post by William »

Regarding

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0013.html

----

Shervin Afshar wrote as follows:

> I am a bit confused about the definitions of "modern art" and "emoji" here:

Thank you for replying to my post.

I think of emoji as picture characters used in a message, usually a message conveyed by electronic means. An emoji conveys a meaning through the language barrier, thus allowing communication through the language barrier.

Yet the pictures used for emoji are usually, thus far, representational pictures.

I am thinking that the picture used in an emoji could be an abstract picture.

If an abstract picture is used to define an emoji character then there needs to be some guidance, external to the particular message where such an abstract emoji is used, as to what meaning the picture is being used to convey.

Since the idea is that the abstract emoji should convey meaning through the language barrier, that guidance needs to be localized so that a person reading the message can understand its meaning, regardless of which one or more natural languages he or she has knowledge.

I have referred to the pictures that I have produced for these abstract emoji as modern art because they are not traditional representational pictures.

I have heard of people looking at an abstract picture in an art gallery and asking "What does it mean?".

If, say, ae78901 were produced as a picture for display in an art gallery then there is an answer to the question "What does it mean?".

Thus it is applied modern art, art that can be applied to a practical application, rather than just being art that is just there.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not in any way criticising art that is just there: I like art, including modern art.

William Overington

21 August 2014
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now produced colour versions of the three abstract emoji that were mentioned in the first post in this thread.

The colours are blue (R=0, G=0, B=255) for the lines and a particular pale pink (R=255, G=192, B=192) for the background.

Please find three png files attached.

Readers may implement these glyphs in a colour font if they so choose.

William Overington

23 August 2014
ae78901_colour.png
ae78901_colour.png (135 Bytes) Viewed 14830 times
ae78902_colour.png
ae78902_colour.png (139 Bytes) Viewed 14830 times
ae78903_colour.png
ae78903_colour.png (138 Bytes) Viewed 14830 times
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now produced three PDFs each of which contains one of the colour glyphs displayed in a large picture format.

Please find the three PDF files attached.

William
ae78901_colour_for_art_gallery.pdf
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
ae78902_colour_for_art_gallery.pdf
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
ae78903_colour_for_art_gallery.pdf
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
ShawnDion

Post by ShawnDion »

@William

Well using the technique that I was working on converting photo's into glyph's I'm sure that even using something like a face generator http://flashface.ctapt.de/ or taking modern art and coverting it into fonts can reproduce marvelous works the major key though is the choices of colors I've been testing at least 200+ different kinds of softwares related in reducing colors while still getting the illusion that some colors are still there taking for example the :D :) :( :o :shock: :? that we have on the forum using http://pixenlarge.com/ to increase their size can make some great results for font usage. On another great note take how wavatar are made sets of images stacked to create tons of extra images. As far as I know there is no limits to the color technology in fonts and if you have the precision skills you can make tiles, cliparts, photo's, barcodes, and whatever your mind can make in 2d the color fonts are quite forgiving in design.

Art is in the eyes of the beholder.

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Even ascii art at one point was quite popular as it was a way of expression today we're just making it more fancier.

Shawn W. Dion
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now thought of another application.

Automated localizable text-based telephone banking.

With voice-based automated telephone banking the automated lady only uses a fairly small number of prerecorded sentences.

Automated text-based telephone banking could use the same number of preset text strings.

Automated localizable text-based telephone banking could use the same number of abstract emoji characters and the end user could have the localized text displayed on the screen of his or her mobile device, the language choice being that of the end user who would need to have installed the sentence.dat file for the chosen language for the automated localizable text-based telephone banking app, having obtained the sentence.dat file from the bank.

William Overington

28 August 2014