The jè mark, a Dutch "ty­po­graphic shrug"

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

The jè mark, a Dutch "ty­po­graphic shrug"

Post by Alfred »

FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: The jè mark, a Dutch "ty­po­graphic shrug"

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Do we really need this‽

If anyone wants a different design, just use the existing code-point for interrobang or reversed question mark. I don't think it will catch on. It's a long hard route to Unicode approval, and without that, it's dead in the water.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Hi Alfred

Thank you for a very interesting link.

As for whether it, and others, will get into Unicode, well, look at what has happened with emoji as there was much discussion and, if I remember correctly, the original reason for the decision to include them into Unicode was they were being used in mobile telephone messages with various different Private Use Area encodings and emails sent containing them were getting into web-based discussion pages which were then being archived in search engine databases and confusion was being caused in understanding content in such databases. That was then, now new emoji designs are being added because they are being requested, without any prior use evidence.

Now, if those new punctuation marks were to have emoji display possibilities they might become very popular.

William
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 pm Do we really need this‽

If anyone wants a different design, just use the existing code-point for interrobang or reversed question mark. I don't think it will catch on. It's a long hard route to Unicode approval, and without that, it's dead in the water.
I have to confess that I needed to revisit the link to remind myself what the jè mark is supposed to look like! That doesn't bode well for its widespread adoption, but I suppose it could quickly become familiar with frequent use.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10