Cyrillic characters

Post questions about type and font design here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Cyrillic characters

Post by PJMiller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Are there any Cyrillic users on this forum ?

I am extending the Munson font to include Cyrillic. When I first posted this font someone made the comment that it looked like a Soviet era block serif and I must agree with that observation.

I know that there are some preferences with the design of Cyrillic characters which are usually ignored or not known when non Cyrillic users design Cyrillic characters (particularly the italic characters which often have a very different form to their upright counterparts). If there are any Cyrillic users on the forum (or anyone else with an opinion) I would be very happy to hear your thoughts on the design of these Cyrillic characters.

Thank you very much. :D
Munson_Cyrillic.jpg
Munson_Cyrillic.jpg (628.44 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Munson_Cyrillic_Italic.jpg
Munson_Cyrillic_Italic.jpg (695.09 KiB) Viewed 177 times

Niko

Re: Cyrillic characters

Post by Niko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I am Russian and know about the specifics of the Cyrillic letters. I think that your Cyrillic letters for that font are quite normal, and I did not find any character mistakes, although I could judge by only the letters of the Russian alphabet, but it has 33 letters.
You could look at font “Times New Roman” for comparison. That is a very good font with the Cyrillic glyphs.

PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

This post was about a month ago and the font has moved on a little since then. I have re-designed a few of the characters, here are the characters which have been altered.
Munson_Cyrillic_Sample.jpg
Munson_Cyrillic_Sample.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Munson_Cyrillic_Italic_Sample.jpg
Munson_Cyrillic_Italic_Sample.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thank you. :D

PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 pm

P.S.

The version of 'Munson' now on offer doesn't have any Cyrillic, that is going to be in the next version which will be released when it is finished (fairly soon I hope) but fontmaking is just a hobby not my job so I do it when I feel like doing it, there is no deadline.

I am currently extending the small caps feature to support Cyrillic and aligning anchors.

Niko

Post by Niko » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 pm

These letters are good as before. I just noticed that, for the Italic, you made the small letter Zhe like composite of the inverted and normal small letter Ka, but that shape is more typically for the Sans Serif Italic fonts, although there are quite a number of the Serif fonts with that shape, for example the Palatino Linotype.

PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 am

Niko wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 pm
I just noticed that, for the Italic, you made the small letter Zhe like composite of the inverted and normal small letter Ka, but that shape is more typically for the Sans Serif Italic fonts, although there are quite a number of the Serif fonts with that shape, for example the Palatino Linotype.
Yes but what do you think of it ?

Niko

Post by Niko » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 pm

PJMiller wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 am
Niko wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:02 pm
I just noticed that, for the Italic, you made the small letter Zhe like composite of the inverted and normal small letter Ka, but that shape is more typically for the Sans Serif Italic fonts, although there are quite a number of the Serif fonts with that shape, for example the Palatino Linotype.
Yes but what do you think of it ?
There is no mistake here. So that is a matter of taste. I like both the variants.