Scottish Gaelic fonts?

Post questions about type and font design here.
topman

Scottish Gaelic fonts?

Post by topman »

I can't find any anywhere, i can find irish ones, but not Scottish Gaelic. Does anyone know any / know any site that has some, please? Or do people just get irish fonts when getting tattoos in Scottish Gaelic?
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Scottish Gaelic fonts

Post by Dick Pape »

Try Google: Scottish Gaelic Fonts

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/fonts.htm

Discussion and links to Free Fonts ...
Branais

Re: Scottish Gaelic fonts?

Post by Branais »

topman wrote:I can't find any anywhere, i can find irish ones, but not Scottish Gaelic. Does anyone know any / know any site that has some, please? Or do people just get irish fonts when getting tattoos in Scottish Gaelic?
Hi topman,
I'm very late to this party, I recognise, but I wanted to ask: what is it that you see as making a font seem Scottish Gaelic? Do you just mean having the necessary diacritics on the vowels?

I do a fair bit of printed work in Scottish Gaelic, which is why your post caught my eye, and I enjoy experimenting with typography. I find that most of the Gaels in my acquaintance have a real dislike for Gaelic being written in "Celtic" fonts if they're too Irish in tone, but if you're looking for solutions for tattoos, I'm guessing that most tattoo clients want something that visually identifies as Celtic in some way, even if casual viewers don't know what language the tattoo is in.

I have some suggestions, but this is probably way too late now. Did you find any satisfactory solutions?