Open Type Localisation

Post questions about type and font design here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Open Type Localisation

Post by PJMiller »

If I have a table which contains a set of ligatures in the 'Default' section so that it is available in all scripts and then I place a similar table which contains a subset of those ligatures in the 'Localisation' section of a country's script does that make the ligatures which were in the default set but were not in the subset unavailable in that country ?

Or put another way if in the default section I have a set of ligatures which contains the fi and ffi ligatures. If I put a localisation in the Turkish script which has the same ligatures except for the fi and ffi ligatures does that mean that the fi and ffi ligatures will not be available in Turkey ?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Open Type Localisation

Post by Erwin Denissen »

PJMiller wrote:If I have a table which contains a set of ligatures in the 'Default' section so that it is available in all scripts and then I place a similar table which contains a subset of those ligatures in the 'Localisation' section of a country's script does that make the ligatures which were in the default set but were not in the subset unavailable in that country ?

Or put another way if in the default section I have a set of ligatures which contains the fi and ffi ligatures. If I put a localisation in the Turkish script which has the same ligatures except for the fi and ffi ligatures does that mean that the fi and ffi ligatures will not be available in Turkey ?
Yes, that is how it will work.

You can test this behavior within Firefox (In FontCreator go to the main menu, click Font -> Test WOFF).

For default behavior set Language to "en" or leave it empty. For Turkish, use "tr".
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology