Cyrillic Blackletter font

Post questions about type and font design here.
MikeW

Re: Cyrillic Blackletter font

Post by MikeW »

Psymon wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm...although even still, I think the alternating s/longs/s looks a bit weird, and that to me it would look more "correct" to simply be a triple-longs...
Don't forget the whole "make it like the picture" thing. It doesn't matter what I like.

I myself, my personal taste, is that I don't overly like to use "forgotten" letter forms at all. Heck, I don't read French or other languages than English any more (I use to be able to suss out German). So typesetting other languages presents enough of a challenge for me, let alone mixing in "funny looking" letter forms.

But to paraphrase the bumper sticker expression, any day typesetting is better than working.
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

MikeW wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:21 pm But to paraphrase the bumper sticker expression, any day typesetting is better than working.
Indeed. And in that regard, I've been wondering if our friend PJMiller's moniker here is actually his name, "PJ," or if that's a reflection of what his day-to-day work clothes are -- pajamas. :lol:

Yes, ya gotta love this job, any sort of stay-at-home computer job. Crawl out of bed, put the coffee on, and you're at work. Feel like a nap? Crawl back into bed. :mrgreen:
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

My name is Paul James Miller.

My work is as an Electronics Engineer in Medical Research, I do not wear pyjamas to work. My hobby is designing fonts (amongst other things).

My first font was named 'Kelvinch' after the name of my main character on the MMORPG 'Guild Wars 2', that character is called 'Kelvinch Twock'. :D
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

PJMiller wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 pm My name is Paul James Miller.
I liked my thought better! :D
My first font was named 'Kelvinch' after the name of my main character on the MMORPG 'Guild Wars 2', that character is called 'Kelvinch Twock'. :D
I had to google what "MMORPG" meant -- showing my age, I guess.

And that's why I wear pajamas all day. ;)
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Psymon wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 pm
I had to google what "MMORPG" meant -- showing my age, I guess.
... and I will be retiring next year. :lol:
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

PJMiller wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 am ... and I will be retiring next year. :lol:
We need a "like" button on here, if not a bunch of 'em, for those times when you don't really have anything else to add, but just feel like saying "right on," or "wow," or "ha ha," or just whatever other sort of simple acknowledgement. ;)
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Hey, MikeW, I told you I remembered you from here before! ;)

I was just recalling the earlier discussion we'd had here about the font you'd made where you automatically swap out the longs in place of the "s" -- and not everywhere, of course, but just where it should be used.

I was just re-reading that discussion we had here, but I just get so lost in all this "stylistic set" stuff and everything, I haven't got a clue how I would go about implementing something like that in my fonts.

That would be very cool, though, if it was a feature that people could turn on/off, and effectively instantly get their text to conform to early typography practices! And not just with the longs, but also swapping out the "u" and "v" in similarly appropriate places.

I gather you actually accomplished that (re the longs, anyway)? Is it indeed a feature that one can turn on/off? And is it difficult to do? Or perhaps I should say... is it difficult to explain? ;)

And I presume that if it can be done with the longs, then it could similarly be done with the "u" and "v," i.e. so that for any word, every "v" is changed to "u," unless it's at the beginning of the word (then it's always a "v," even when the word starts with a "u"), and all uppercase "U" and "V" also become a "V" (regardless of where they are in the word)?

And what about ligatures? Like, I've got piles and piles of longs-related ligatures -- if my font can swap out a longs in place of an "s," then will it then also automatically use the appropriate longs ligatures, too?

If I'm getting way out of my depth here, if this is just too far advanced for little ol' me, just say so -- what a cool feature that would be, though, if indeed one could turn that on/off (or, alternatively, to provide two different versions of my fonts or something). :)