Localisation or Stylistic Alterates

Post questions about type and font design here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Localisation or Stylistic Alterates

Post by PJMiller »

Whilst studying many fonts with Cyrillic support it became apparent that many fonts do Localisation for Bulgarian Cyrillic and Macedonian/Serbian Cyrillic by using Stylistic Alternates insead of or as well as Open Type Localisation.

The reason which was stated was that Localisation doesn't work in many circumstances and with a lot of software.

I must admit that when I have produced a font I only test the Localisation features very superficially because it is difficult to test.

Does anyone have any experience or information about the Open Type Localisation not working.

What is the best way to do Localisation ?

What is the best way to test Localisation ?

Any opinion, advice or information would be welcome.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Localisation or Stylistic Alterates

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know about other applications, but Serif apps don't support the locl feature, which is why I use Stylistic Sets for Romanian S and T cedilla -> S and T comma.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

PJMiller wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:32 pmWhat is the best way to test Localisation ?
I use FontCreator's Test WOFF feature to test in Firefox:
http://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/demo/language/
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Thank you Bhikkhu Pesala.

Thank you Erwin, I have verified that the localisation works on Kelvinch but I had a wierd e-mail in very bad english from this guy who said that the Serbian localisation didn't work.

Here was me naïvely thinking that this was a function of the operating system and so it would just work based on the location set in the operating system, it seems it is a function of the individual applications.

From now on I will put Localisation in as Stylistic Alternates as well as Open Type Localisation. After all the look up tables already exist so it wouldn't enlarge the font file by very much to use the same lookups in two features rather than just one. And at some point in the future there will be applications which actually use this feature.

:roll: