"Most interesting man in the world" font

Are you looking for the name of a font or a character? Do upload an image or picture that helps us identify it.
prr

"Most interesting man in the world" font

Post by prr »

I'm wondering if anyone can identify the font used in those Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercials. I've uploaded some examples.
Attachments
dos-equis-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world12.png
dos-equis-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world12.png (389.3 KiB) Viewed 15774 times
dos-equis.jpg
dos-equis.jpg (152.22 KiB) Viewed 15774 times
prr

Re: "Most interesting man in the world" font

Post by prr »

Now that I did a comparison with the same text from MS Word, it looks a LOT like Times New Roman.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not the most interesting font in the world, but it cannot be that bad if its used so much.

For a formal typeface, I prefer Goudy Old Style, Garamond, or Perpetua. They have a bit more panache, and are not quite so overused.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Don't think it's Monotype/Adobe Times New Roman. The G "shelf" is too high, the A doesn't have flat apex and the cross bar is too low and the M has parallel legs and no dual serif on top. Also looks like the O isn't round enough for the sample.

Other than that I don't think any ad agency/designer would use Times New Roman, just because ...
dos equis1.jpg
dos equis1.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 15756 times
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

The round O made me wonder whether it might be Perpetua, but that doesn't match in several other respects. Monotype Sabon looks a better match, but that dual serif is missing from the top of the M and (like TNR and Perpetua) the legs aren't splayed enough.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

I think it might be Engravers' Oldstyle 205.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Good. Engravers Oldstyle 205 looks a whole lot better.
dos equis2.jpg
dos equis2.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 15748 times
prr

Post by prr »

Yes, it looks very much like Engravers. Especially, how those serifs (if that's the correct term) on the T and the E are shaped. And that middle row on the B curves down a little bit, too. Yeah I think that's it.

I agree it would be strange for an ad to use TNR, it was just a font I've seen a lot of, so I noticed the similarities. But this ain't my day job, so I'll just chuckle at that idea. :P