Struggling with these fonts

Are you looking for the name of a font or a character? Do upload an image or picture that helps us identify it.
cc4rhu

Struggling with these fonts

Post by cc4rhu »

I've spent hours using the online detectors and one of them came back with Limerick Heavy which was promising until I realised it's a newer font family.
The one on the left was printed circa 1985 in the UK. The one on the right I'm not certain, it may be a variation or a newer reproduction. Any help would be appreciated.
palitoyfont.jpg
palitoyfont.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Struggling with these fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

To me, it looks like the same font, but the one on the left has been made to look bold with an outline (it does not look like a true bold version)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

The fonts in those images differ in several respects from both Limerick Heavy (B & P Graphics) and Limerick Serial Heavy (SoftMaker). The oval counters of the /p and the /a could be due to the fonts being condensed, but the /c and the /S are markedly different.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
cc4rhu

Post by cc4rhu »

A guy who's worked in graphics for 40 years suggested futura extra bold condensed. However, the numbers and the 'p' don't match. I guess the numbers could be a different printing plate?
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

cc4rhu wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:01 pm A guy who's worked in graphics for 40 years suggested futura extra bold condensed.
Good call!
However, the numbers and the 'p' don't match. I guess the numbers could be a different printing plate?
The /p is clearly from a different font, and the ‘99’ probably comes from that font, but there’s no reason why the two fonts couldn’t share the same printing plate unless they sometimes needed to be printed in different colours.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10