Undoing Transformations

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Undoing Transformations

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Transformations cannot be undone. If a transformation doesn't give the result that you want the first time, you have to reopen the font to undo the transformation. To avoid this unnecessary step, try this:
  • Select the glyphs that you wish to transform
  • Copy them to the clipboard
  • Make the transformation
  • Paste the glyphs back in
  • Undo the paste operation
Now you can easily compare the before and after results of the transformation for each selected glyph in the Glyph Edit Window by using redo and undo.

If the transformation is not quite what you wanted, make some adjustments and try again.

:idea: Transformations can be saved in the Transform dialogue for resuse later. Be mindful that the corner or fixed point used for scaling is not currently remembered and has to be reselected each time you use the transformation.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Spitsbergen

Re: Undoing Transformations

Post by Spitsbergen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Transformations cannot be undone. If a transformation doesn't give the result that you want the first time, you have to reopen the font to undo the transformation. To avoid this unnecessary step, try this:
  • Select the glyphs that you wish to transform
  • Copy them to the clipboard
  • Make the transformation
  • Paste the glyphs back in
  • Undo the paste operation
Now you can easily compare the before and after results of the transformation for each selected glyph in the Glyph Edit Window by using redo and undo.

If the transformation is not quite what you wanted, make some adjustments and try again.

:idea: Transformations can be saved in the Transform dialogue for resuse later. Be mindful that the corner or fixed point used for scaling is not currently remembered and has to be reselected each time you use
the transformation.
Yes, its one better Way to "undo"it... i usually copied a sign to another place, and then i worked with the sign and i have the Clipboard free for steps between... Maybe your Way will be the better one - i'll try that.
Thanks !!

Maybe you know a way to lock the Metrics while working with and editing a Glyph ??? Or maybe Erwin knows an idea ???

Greetings, Spitsbergen
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Maybe you know a way to lock the Metrics while working with and editing a Glyph ??? Or maybe Erwin knows an idea ???
The same method. Copy the glyph or glyphs to the clipboard in overview before editing the glyph, then paste special when you're done to paste back just the metrics data.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Spitsbergen

Post by Spitsbergen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
The same method. Copy the glyph or glyphs to the clipboard in overview before editing the glyph, then paste special when you're done to paste back just the metrics data.
Yes, its possible to paste special in the Overviev mode - but the left side bearing sets not at point x=0 again, where it has been before, and thats very important for may works. Perhaps Erwin Denissen could put a Button in FC to lock it, if needed.

Greetings, Spitsbergen
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is a button on the Transform toolbar, bearings, to set x=0

There is also an option on Tools, Options, Fonts, to set x=0 on saving files.
Spitsbergen

Post by Spitsbergen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: There is also an option on Tools, Options, Fonts, to set x=0 on saving files.
Thx !! Thats what i looked for !!!

greetings, spitsbergen
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Spitsbergen wrote:Yes, its possible to paste special in the Overviev mode - but the left side bearing sets not at point x=0 again, where it has been before, and thats very important for may works. Perhaps Erwin Denissen could put a Button in FC to lock it, if needed.
A similar request is already on the to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dumbledore

Re: Undoing Transformations

Post by Dumbledore »

I make a practice to save the font project before doing any transformations at all. If the transformation doesn't work, I simply exit and reopen the saved file, and the transformation is no longer there. Using Bikkhu's method as well would provide a belt and braces safety net.