Using Bookmarks to Navigate Large Fonts

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Using Bookmarks to Navigate Large Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This Tutorial Applies to FontCreator 6.5 or Earlier

If, like me, you often work on fonts of 1,000 glyphs or more, you will make frequent use of the bookmark feature.

To set a bookmark, press Control + Shift + Digit (0-9)
To go to a bookmark, press Control + Digit (0-9)

I set my bookmarks at strategic points throughout the font overview — usually at the start of character sets. There is no need for a bookmark at the beginning of the font, as one can just press Control + Home to go to the first glyph. Likewise, one can press Control + End to go to the end. So I set my first bookmark (1) at the start of the Extended ANSI character set, then successive bookmarks at the start of Latin Extended-A, etc.

Bookmark 1

Bookmark 2

Bookmark 3

Bookmark 4

Bookmark 5

Bookmark 6

Bookmark 7

Bookmark 8

Bookmark 9

Control End

Control Home

Finally, I use Control 0 as my current workplace, and keep moving it as I work. By sticking to these familiar bookmark locations, you can soon become familiar with finding your place in a large font. If the glyphs are sorted (Font, Sort Glyphs), the layout of glyphs in every font will be very similar.

Bookmark 0

The bookmarks are stored, in a file called — surprise, surprise — “bookmarks.txt” in Font Creator's Application Data directory. Each line in the text file is the hexadecimal code of a bookmark. Make a copy of this file in Windows Explorer, and you can easily restore your backed up bookmarks if you need to.

bookmarks.txt
$01B6;
$0021;
$00C4;
$0100;
$018E;
$0384;
$1E00;
$2010;
$2190;
$2460;
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486