Reducing Nodes to Smooth Glyphs

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Reducing Nodes to Smooth Glyphs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Before

This glyph has too many nodes, so I want to reduce the number.

Hiding Screen Clutter

Press Alter H, followed by Alter to hide guidelines, bearing lines, and grid lines.

Control Print Screen to select the screen area for copying using my favourite screen capture freeware, FastStone Capture.

Copy the image to the clipboard, and close FastStone Capture to return to the Font Creator Glyph Edit Window.

Pasting the Image

Note the co-ordinates of the bottom left corner of the current glyph, and its width (or height) in the Transform toolbar.

Delete the current glyph and paste the clipboard contents to create a new one. Move it to the same starting point as the old glyph and resize it to the same width, keeping the aspect ratio locked.

After

The new glyph now has far fewer nodes.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Fxied broken link
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

I Like It!

Post by Dave Crosby »

That is a slick trick!

Many thanks.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Reducing Nodes to Smooth Glyphs

Post by Dick Pape »

I just saw this thread - 6 ½ year later. Does it still function?

I use Snagit, which I own, as screen capture. Not sure how to copy to the clipboard, so save the image as jpg. When Upload the jpg to an Edit window no nodes are changed ...
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon May 19, 2014 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes, it still works.

Perhaps Snagit has already copied the outlines to the clipboard after using it — I don't use it. In FastStone Capture there's a button to do that, but saving to JPG will do just as well.

If the glyph is already smooth, this trick won't remove any more nodes.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Dick Pape wrote:I use Snagit, which I own, as screen capture. Not sure how to copy to the clipboard, so save the image as jpg.
I don't use Snagit, but you can apparently create a Capture Clipboard chain or skip the Editor and send your screenshot straight to the clipboard (or choose multiple outputs).
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off-topic comment
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

With more recent versions of FontCreator you can accomplish this much easier.

You can either use the Background toolwindow, or use the Optimize contours feature.

The Background tool window can be used to reduce nodes in the conventional way:
  • Click "Copy from current glyph"
  • Select all contours, and delete them (or use the Make Empty feature)
  • Click "Convert to contours"
BackgroundImageReduceNodes.png
BackgroundImageReduceNodes.png (51.45 KiB) Viewed 14677 times
Basically FontCreator will trace the raster based image of the original outline and will generate new contours.

The Contour optimize feature will try to reduce the number of nodes of the contours, which is faster and more precise.

In the early stage of designing your glyph outlines it might be worth using the first approach, but in general it is recommended to use the Contour optimize feature.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology