Import and Validation

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Jowaco

Import and Validation

Post by Jowaco »

I am using FCP4.0.4.141.49 and Windows ME4.90.3000
Sometimes new facilities have side benefits which are not at first sight obvious. I use the Import function regularly and I'm still obtaining very poor angular traces even on very curved glyphs or parts of glyphs. Most of the points generated are on-curve and no matter how I adjust the values on the Trace page, very little difference is made. Here I have to admit that I haven't a clue as to what the legends beside the field entry boxes mean (it isn't explained anywhere) and I work by trial and error. The result can be seen in the left window below.

Here is how I obtained the better curves in the glyph on the in the right window:
  • Double click the glyph in the Edit window to go into points mode
  • Select all points in the glyph by dragging a rectangle round or select only the points in a section of the glyph and I prefer the freehand selection tool, or lasso, for this
  • Press keyboard 'F' and all points change to off-curve points
  • Immediatley problems are shown to be present on the 'Add on-curve extremes' button in the Validation toolbar (far right)
  • Press this button and the one next to it, 'Remove reduntant points', if it shows that redundant points are present
  • Better curves are now the result
So the Validation suite has uses other than for those for which it was intended.
Joe.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

One of the high priority todo items is improving the trace functionality. For now your workaround seems to be a perfect alternative to improve the imported outlines.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology