Test Language Specific OpenType Features

Before asking a question on FontCreator look here for possible solutions and tutorials. Please do not post support requests here.
Erwin Denissen

Test Language Specific OpenType Features

Post by Erwin Denissen »

For some people it might be obvious, but in case you wonder how to test and/or use language specific OpenType features:

In advanced text processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word, Adobe Illustrator, Serif Page Plus, etc) you just type text, select it, and apply the font, enable OpenType features, and define the language.

To test your font in a web browser, just select Test WOFF from the Font menu or press CTRL-F5. With the next upcoming release you'll be able to set a specific language as shown here:

Sample Page To Test Language Specific OpenType Layout Features in a Font in a Web Browser
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Test Language Specific OpenType Features

Post by Alfred »

In the Mandala font used on the sample page, the 'dlig' feature is applied first, so in the line
Ordinals: 1st 2nd 3rd
the 'st' is replaced by a discretionary ligature, preventing the 'ordn' feature from working as expected.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The test page uses an old version, which may actually be useful since it illustrates that the order of lookups is important.

There is a previous thread discussing the topic of OpenType Feature precedence.

My latest version of Mandala does not suffer from the above problem. However, I did not yet find any way to avoid the conflict between fractions and ordinals.
OpenType Feature Precedence.gif
OpenType Feature Precedence.gif (45.78 KiB) Viewed 10714 times
Feel free to download my Mandala font and see if you can come up with a solution. The linked thread would be a good place to report your findings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The test page uses an old version, which may actually be useful since it illustrates that the order of lookups is important.

There is a previous thread discussing the topic of OpenType Feature precedence.
Thanks for the link.
My latest version of Mandala does not suffer from the above problem. However, I did not yet find any way to avoid the conflict between fractions and ordinals.

OpenType Feature Precedence.gif

Feel free to download my Mandala font and see if you can come up with a solution. The linked thread would be a good place to report your findings.
Hmm ... tricky one. (Wish me luck. I'll need it if someone with your breadth and depth of experience hasn't found the answer!)
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10