Modifying glyph names

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
shibli313

Modifying glyph names

Post by shibli313 »

it would be great and super easy if glyphs were shown in one column also :( .
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Modifying glyph names

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please clarify your request. I don't understand what it is you want, or why.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
shibli313

Post by shibli313 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 pm Please clarify your request. I don't understand what it is you want, or why.
I mean the new feature in Tools-Glyph Names-Edit. If there was a column in the edit window which has glyphs' images (I mean actual glyph), it would be very easy to edit on the spot.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You might find it easier if you select some glyphs first, but I agree that showing the glyphs to be edited in a column on the Glyph Edit dialogue would be helpful.

If you tell us what your specific needs are, it may help us to find a workaround.
Edit Glyph Names.png
Edit Glyph Names.png (22.44 KiB) Viewed 23883 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, this is something that would help. We'll probably include this in the next upcoming release.
glyphnames.png
glyphnames.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 23860 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This feature request has been implemented in the update we released earlier today.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:21 pm This feature request has been implemented in the update we released earlier today.
Cool!
Can you add an "Edit Selected Glyphs" shortcut, when right clicking on some glyphs?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hafonton wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 amCan you add an "Edit Selected Glyphs" shortcut, when right clicking on some glyphs?
Try Alt+L, N, E. If you use any function frequently, you soon memorise the Access Key route, which is available for most, if not all, commands.
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:58 am
Hafonton wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 amCan you add an "Edit Selected Glyphs" shortcut, when right clicking on some glyphs?
Try Alt+L, N, E. If you use any function frequently, you soon memorise the Access Key route, which is available for most, if not all, commands.
That's a weird shortcut but it works, thanks.
Is there a map for the commands, if I forget anything? (or want to learn new commands like this)?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hafonton wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 pmThat's a weird shortcut but it works, thanks.
Is there a map for the commands, if I forget anything? (or want to learn new commands like this)?
Just look at the menu.
Access Keys for Edit Glyph Names.png
Access Keys for Edit Glyph Names.png (9.74 KiB) Viewed 22175 times
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:52 am
Hafonton wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 pmThat's a weird shortcut but it works, thanks.
Just look at the menu.

Access Keys for Edit Glyph Names.png
WOAH. blew my mind!
Thank you! this is a time saver.

(however a right-click shortcut would still be nicer)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A Context Menu would be slower. I understand that some users are addicted to doing everything with the mouse, but it really is much less efficient.

If Edit Glyph Names were to be added to the Context Menu for selected glyphs, it would have to be a submenu like the current Tags submenu, because there are four items to add, not just one.
Context Menu.png
Context Menu.png (12.51 KiB) Viewed 22152 times
It involves a lot of mouse travel to select, e.g. the "Recently Used," tag on my menu. (The five tags are editable to use names that you find useful. Copy the Data Files to the User Data Folder, and edit tags.txt).

The Default Tags

[tags]
;Red
1=Important
;Orange
2=Incomplete
;Green
3=Completed
;Fuchsia
4=Review
;Blue
5=Workspace
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 pm A Context Menu would be slower. I understand that some users are addicted to doing everything with the mouse, but it really is much less efficient.

If Edit Glyph Names were to be added to the Context Menu for selected glyphs, it would have to be a submenu like the current Tags submenu, because there are four items to add, not just one.
Thanks for answering.

Don't get me wrong, I love shortcuts, but these shortcuts are weird to remember - they're not as easy as CTRL+KEY.
Another feature would be a way to set up keyboard shortcuts, but that's a different subject.

What four item to add? I theres only one to add: "Edit Glyph Names".
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's the beauty of access keys over shortcuts. You do not have to remember them. If you don't pick up the program for a year, the shortcuts are underlined.

Clear
Generate
Edit...
Find and Replace...

They are also easy to remember as they are all (in this case) the first letter of the command.
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:13 pm That's the beauty of access keys over shortcuts. You do not have to remember them. If you don't pick up the program for a year, the shortcuts are underlined.

Clear
Generate
Edit...
Find and Replace...

They are also easy to remember as they are all (in this case) the first letter of the command.
I agree that the keys can be easy to remember if doing them over and over again.
But theres a big difference between
1. clicking ALT, leaving it, looking at the menu, glancing with your eyes to find the navigation item you want to click on, clicking on that letter, and repeating this a couple of times (if its in a deeper navigation) until you get to the command you want to access.
compared to:
2. having a general shortcut CTRL+H for find and replace, for example.
it takes WAY less time to have 2-3 combined letters to click on (CTRL+SHIFT+T), over clicking on some letters in a specific sequence.

Will there be a consideration on making this shortcuts available to edit? Many softwares have ability to edit their shortcuts (photoshop, illustrator, visual studio code and so on)