Auto-order kerning pairs alphabetically

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
johancb

Auto-order kerning pairs alphabetically

Post by johancb »

Bhikkhu recently helped me fix broken kerning for a Truetype font on Mac. My kerning pairs weren't ordered alphabetically, which resulted in Mac apps simply ignoring them. It would seem it was as simple as that, since when I replaced the pairs with an ordered list Bhikkhu provided, it works again. This seems to me the perfect sort of task for Font Creator to simply check and fix on the fly, without even asking.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Auto-order kerning pairs alphabetically

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sounds like a worthwhile feature request, which shouldn't be hard to do. Which application was used to add the kerning pairs to the font?

Here's the other thread.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
johancb

Post by johancb »

FCP6.5.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

johancb wrote:FCP6.5.
I cannot reproduce this using FontCreator 6.5. If I add the kerning pairs in any order they are always sorted alphabetically, i.e. adding VA after adding VÄ will always add it before that pair.

Please give us a step-by-step recipe of how you added the kerning pairs to your font using FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
johancb

Post by johancb »

I can't, from memory. But I'll see if I can dig up an old version of the file and take it from there.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I think it is a nice feature, and will make sure it is included in the next version of FontCreator.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology