Request: Sort Glyphs by Validation Errors

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Arcandio

Request: Sort Glyphs by Validation Errors

Post by Arcandio »

I'm working on validating a lot of glyphs, and it'd be SUPER useful if FontCreator could mark the glyphs with problems, either by adding groups to the list on the side, or by coloring the glyph title bar red or something. I do a lot of flipping back and forth between notepad and FC right now, and it gets distracting after a while. Simple mockup follows.
error marking in fontcreator.jpg
error marking in fontcreator.jpg (271.71 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Request: Sort Glyphs by Validation Errors

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I agree. A filter in the side panel would be a nice way to implement this feature. It would save some time if a font has a lot of errors that the wizard cannot fix automatically.

There is already a feature to tag glyphs, so you could save yourself a lot of time by using that to tag all of the glyphs with errors.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Arcandio

Post by Arcandio »

I thought about that, but it still doesn't save me much time from creating new variants of other fonts. Even if I tag the problem glyphs in the original file (before duplicating it) I still end up with a bunch of stragglers to track down after each Transform. But that may have something to do with how my font is constructed, though.

Anyway, I'm glad you agree, and I'm not way out of bounds on this one.
Arcandio

Post by Arcandio »

Now that I've spent all day doing this, I belatedly realized that there IS a filter for this sort of thing, called Troubleshooting > Incomplete Characters. All High-Logic need do is add Troubleshooting > Validation Errors, and we're golden!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This feature request is now implemented in FontCreator 10. After running the Font Validation wizard, the glyphs with errors can be filtered by selecting the Validation Issues item in the Trouble-shooting area of the Glyph Overview Panel.
Validation Errors.png
Validation Errors.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486