Font Installation Wizard must allow replacing fonts

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
highwaykind

Auto update installed version of font you're working on ?

Post by highwaykind »

Would it be possible to automatically update the installed version ( in C:/Windows/Fonts) of the font you're working on?

Now I need to manually uninstall/remove it - otherwise I get the "already installed/failed" message.
Not a big nuisance at all, but since FCP can install, I wondered if it could uninstall it as well (same filename as last save ??)
agent007bond

Font Installation Wizard must allow replacing fonts

Post by agent007bond »

It completely baffles me why the Font Installation Wizard does not allow the replacement of fonts. When attempted to install a font again after the first installation, it simply refuses to proceed!
This is in stark contrast with Windows which allows replacement of a font, after confirming with the user.
I suggest that the Font Installation wizard should also allow replacement likewise. If the denial is to avoid overwriting, simply require the user to mark a checkbox before proceeding. For example:
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font Installation Wizard must allow replacing fonts

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have added this check to prevent unwanted loss of the original font file. If you provide a different file name it won't complain.

So first do an export with a different file name (or change the file name in the export settings dialog), then reinstall. Let us know your results.
agent007bond wrote:I suggest that the Font Installation wizard should also allow replacement likewise. If the denial is to avoid overwriting, simply require the user to mark a checkbox before proceeding. For example:
This might be a nice way to overcome the current situation. Thank you for your feedback!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Erwin Denissen wrote: This might be a nice way to overcome the current situation. Thank you for your feedback!
Yes.

It would help if such a "refusal unless deliberately accepting" feature were also available when exporting a font from FontCreator.

At present, if one starts a new project by saving from the project file of another font, one has to be very careful to change the name of the exported font before exporting as, without notice, the original exported font could otherwise be overwritten.

William Overington

21 February 2014
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 11 will now install a font that is already installed.

In doing so, it will uninstall the previous version, which remains available for installation if you change your mind, and prefer the earlier version.

My Odana font was already installed, but the version modified today was installed instead. I have since uninstalled the new version, and reinstalled the old one, removing the unfinished new version from MainType's database.
Install Font.png
Install Font.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 10870 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486