Mouse wheel panning

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
MikeW

Mouse wheel panning

Post by MikeW »

It would be convenient--more efficient--if panning in a glyph editing window to be able to use the mouse wheel (or middle mouse button) to be able to pan around the window when zoomed in.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Mouse wheel panning

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Presumably you know about the other methods by now?
  • Space bar + Left mouse button
  • Shift + Scrollwheel
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yes. Which is why I would prefer panning Ala PagePlus and most of my oft used software.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Oh yeah, you forgot alt + scroll wheel.

When I am zoomed in, I am often deleting selected nodes, repositioning remaining nodes, perhaps hitting a, f, occasionally. But my hand is most often around the delete key as I am working. Largely this is because of working from imported scans. But even when I am copying and pasting from Illy or CD, there is clean-up to do. Which for me mostly involves selecting nodes and deleting them and adjusting the remaining. It is fairly brain-dead work.

As well, even while I am drawing and adjusting inside of FC, which is often enough for long periods of time, I pretty much just use the mouse and the ol' noggin is supported by my left hand, elbow resting on the desk. It's monotonous work. The less I need to use the keyboard while drawing, the better.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alt + Scrollwheel is no different to Scrollwheel on its own.

There's also the pan tool, which you can select with the mouse.

See this tutorial thread on Reducing nodes. It might save you a lot of work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Any key plus pressing the mouse wheel is less efficient than just pressing and holding the mouse wheel alone for panning. Pressing a key and rolling the mouse wheel is less efficient than pressing space + pressing and holding the left mouse button to move around a zoomed in glyph.

Yes, I have tried the routine as referenced in that thread. It produces as many nodes as copying the scan and pasting it. Pasting in vector from AI or CD works better. However, FC can still add unwanted nodes compared to the source.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This feature request has now been implemented in FontCreator 10.

Press and hold the middle-mouse button to pan in the Glyph Edit Window.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Excellent! Thanks.

Once I can afford to, I'll upgrade just for this alone (and one bug I reported).