Preview Typo Line Gap / Line Gap

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
outofstepfontco

Preview Typo Line Gap / Line Gap

Post by outofstepfontco »

I would like to be able to preview the Typo Line Gap and Line Gap metrics in one of the font test / preview windows.

The Typo Line Gap and Line Gap numbers have no effect on how the font is displayed in F8 Preview, F5 Test OTF/TTF, or Ctrl+F5 Test WOFF.

My current methodology involves exporting the font, reviewing it in the Windows Font Install window, and testing it in Microsoft Word.
FC12.0 Professional
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Preview Typo Line Gap / Line Gap

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

outofstepfontco wrote:IMy current methodology involves exporting the font, reviewing it in the Windows Font Install window, and testing it in Microsoft Word.
An easier method is to use the Test Font Window, then preview it in Word (or whatever) with the temporary font generated by the Font Test Window.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
outofstepfontco

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
outofstepfontco wrote:IMy current methodology involves exporting the font, reviewing it in the Windows Font Install window, and testing it in Microsoft Word.
An easier method is to use the Test Font Window, then preview it in Word (or whatever) with the temporary font generated by the Font Test Window.
How do you get the temporary font from the Font Test Window into Word?
FC12.0 Professional
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

It will be the font name followed by numbers. The test window has the font name. This font will be in Word's font list.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look at the top left of the Font Test Window.
Test Font Name.png
Test Font Name.png (16.99 KiB) Viewed 8617 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
outofstepfontco

Thank you for the work around.
Please advise when this feature has been added to FontCreator.
FC12.0 Professional
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Font Test dialog uses the Uniscribe text shaping engine without additional magic done by Word. To test your font in other application, you can use the approach as suggested by Bhikkhu Pesala. It is not a work-around, but an actual feature :wink:
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As explained, this feature already exists. A font has to be installed to see how it works with different Windows applications. The Font Test window installs the current font project as a temporary font for testing purposes in any Windows Application.