Support for vhea and vmtx tables

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
BabelStone

Support for vhea and vmtx tables

Post by BabelStone »

Please could you add support for vhea (Vertical Header) and vmtx (Vertical Metrics) tables, which are required for vertical display of CJK fonts. I see that a couple of other users have also posted to this forum about the lack of support for vertical fonts in FontCreator, so I think this would be a very welcome feature for developers of CJK and other Asian fonts (I recently had a request to add support for vertical layout in a Tangut font, which I am currently unable to do with FontCreator).

The two tables are very simple, and should be relatively easy to implement. There is plenty of empty space on the Metrics tab of FontCreator, so you could have a checkbox there to enable vertical metrics in the font, and if checked then fields for the vhea table would be enabled, and each glyph in the font would additionally have top sidebearing and advance height metrics, which FontCreator would set to a sensible value by default, but could be adjusted in the glyph editor in the same way that other glyph metrics are.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Support for vhea and vmtx tables

Post by Erwin Denissen »

These don't look too complicated, so we'll add these to the to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Re: Support for vhea and vmtx tables

Post by BabelStone »

Thank you, that is very welcome news. Adding support for vertical layout to my CJK fonts is a very high priority for me, so I hope you will be able to add support for these tables in the next major release.