Toolbar Features

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
nabsltd

Toolbar Features

Post by nabsltd »

I am constantly moving my toolbars around because I hit the space between two icons and click and drag slightly. It would be really nice if there was a "lock the toolbars" feature.

Also, a way to remove items from toolbars would be nice. There are a few things on toolbars that I don't use often enough to merit the space. If you do this, though, I think that being able to have any menu command as a toolbar button (so we could add to toolbars, too) would be useful.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Toolbar features

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

nabsltd wrote:I am constantly moving my toolbars around because I hit the space between two icons and click and drag slightly. It would be really nice if there was a "lock the toolbars" feature.
I guess I just got used to it, but it still happens to me sometimes. Double-clicking on a detached toolbar title bar will redock it quickly.

The next version of FontCreator will have larger icons, but customising is too big a project at the moment.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I guess I just got used to it, but it still happens to me sometimes. Double-clicking on a detached toolbar title bar will redock it quickly.
I don't move them so far as to detach them...they just move so that there are gaps between toolbars. Eventually, this leads to icons being not where my muscle memory thinks they are, and clicking on the wrong ones.
The next version of FontCreator will have larger icons
I don't need (or want) larger icons. They take up more screen area without offering a lot of extra value. Plus, it still won't solve my problem, unless there are no spaces on the toolbars that are grab spots except for the left end.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

nabsltd wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
The next version of FontCreator will have larger icons
I don't need (or want) larger icons. They take up more screen area without offering a lot of extra value. Plus, it still won't solve my problem, unless there are no spaces on the toolbars that are grab spots except for the left end.
Whether you want them or not, they will be there. Larger icons are badly needed by users with high resolution monitors. Larger icons also means a larger space to grab the toolbars for moving toolbars when you want to, but also larger icons to hit accurately.

The dividers between icons, and the handle at the left or top of toolbars is used to move them .

An option to lock them would be handy as one does not constantly need to change toolbar layouts. I think it would not be hard to do, so we might get it in FontCreator 11.1, if not in FontCreator 11.0.

I am sure that a customising option is much harder to achieve than a lock option.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Toolbar Features

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The locking of docked toolbars is now available in FontCreator 11.

Customising of toolbar is not, so I split the merged topic and moved the split posts here.

Right-click on any toolbar to lock the docked toolbars. This removes the toolbar handles and locks them into place.

Undocked, but dockable, toolbars can be moved around freely, but cannot be docked by dragging. Double-click the undocked toolbar's title bar to redock it wherever it was docked before locking the toolbars.
Lock Docked Toolbars.png
Lock Docked Toolbars.png (54.35 KiB) Viewed 6937 times