Autometrics

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
MikeW

Autometrics

Post by MikeW »

I think it would benefit users if there was a No Change option for digits when one invokes the Autometrics option.
capture-001309.png
capture-001309.png (54.69 KiB) Viewed 14698 times
If one redoes an existing font and has already set the widths for tabular and proportional digits, an either or option isn't as useful as a Don't Touch 'Em option when running autometrics.

(Yep, I know one can copy the digits and paste back afterwards.)
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Autometrics

Post by PJMiller »

I would also find this useful.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Consider it done!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Excellent, thanks. Mike
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hmm. I guess I didn't think this out really well.

How would FC know that a particular glyph is a digit?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It will only discover 0-9
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Which, in a fuller font, isn't enough...so I'll keep tagging, switching to the tag, highlighting those glyphs, copying and pasting. There are pre-composed fractions, pnum, tnum, sups/denoms, etc., to deal with.

So because FC would only logically consider the 0–9 digits, you might want to save yourself the bother as that would mean that the two choices are perfectly logical for them.

Is there the possibility to use a tag system whereby FC would skip a certain tag if a glyph would be thus tagged?

I only thought about this as I was comparing the results of the Auto Kern feature, both where I set the metrics and following using Auto Metrics. I almost never use either option and it was a good exercise to go through yesterday.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MikeW wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:56 pmThere are pre-composed fractions, pnum, tnum, sups/denoms, etc., to deal with.

So because FC would only logically consider the 0–9 digits, you might want to save yourself the bother as that would mean that the two choices are perfectly logical for them.
I wonder why you need optical metrics to calculate spacing for anything other than the regular digits. I would run autometrics first, then generate the superscripts, and other figures like onum, pnum, or tnum.

After generating the superscripts I would generate the subscripts, denominators, scientific inferiors, and standard fractions using complete composites.

Autometrics might change the advance width for regular lining figures that have been matched with maths symbols so an option not to change them would be useful
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I don't want Auto Metrics to run on everything. That's the point.

I think a tag to skip what Auto Kern runs against would fit the bill.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This has now been implemented in FontCreator 11.0 build 2400
Optical Metric Figures.png
Optical Metric Figures.png (46.27 KiB) Viewed 14580 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486