Automatic Calculation of Unicode Character Ranges

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Haldrik

Automatic Calculation of Unicode Character Ranges

Post by Haldrik »

Hi there,

Using the Font Creator Program, I created fonts that include Hebrew and Greek characters.

The standard Latin characters of my fonts work properly in Microsoft Word for Windows XP. However, when I try to use the Hebrew or Greek characters, Word doesn't recognized them.

Greek characters: I can't enter the Greek characters using the Greek keyboard (provided by the Regional and Language Options in Window XP's Control Panel). Still, I can enter the Greek characters with Word's "Insert Symbol" popup window.

Hebrew characters: Unfortunately, I can't enter the Hebrew characters of my fonts in any way. Word simply doesn't recognize them.

When I try to use the Hebrew or Greek of my font, Word defaults to another font instead, such as Times New Roman.

Why doesn't the Hebrew and Greek from the Font Creator Program font work properly?
Haldrik

Post by Haldrik »

Yay! I seem to have located the problem.

On a related post, Bhikkhu Pesala mentioned: "Take a look at Format, Settings, Ranges, and check that the Unicode settings are shown. If no Unicode ranges are defined MS programs might have problems."

I think, I got the Greek and Hebrew fonts working now. :)

In the next version of the FCP, maybe have the Unicode Ranges check off automatically whenever a character is mapped to them?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad you've been able to solve the issue. I do like the idea of the automatic calculation of the Unicode Character Ranges in combination with the new Insert Characters feature*. Automatic calculation of the Code Page Character Ranges takes too much time, so that is still an issue.

* will be available in the Font Creator Program 5.0 Professional Edition
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Perhaps this check and others could be tied in to the Font Validation Wizard?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

That is a nice suggestion, it will require a new page in the wizard. I might add this feature request to version 5.1.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology