Better Vista support

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
NetHawk

Better Vista support

Post by NetHawk »

Maintype seems to require admin rights under Vista. This is of course a bit inconvenient. Are there any plans for a version that doesn't require admin rights? That would be great...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can't install/ uninstall fonts without administrator rights. So without admin rights MainType is next to useless for most people.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NetHawk

Post by NetHawk »

Well, it depends, how people use Maintype. I would prefer to be able to start the application, browse my fonts, and then, IF I wish to install a new font to deal with the UAC dialog. But maybe that's just me...?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Well, it depends, how people use Maintype.
I agree. however right now this is how it works, but we are always looking for improvements, so it is possible we change this in the future.
I would prefer to be able to start the application, browse my fonts, and then, IF I wish to install a new font to deal with the UAC dialog. But maybe that's just me...?
To make that possible we need to make several complex changes in the software. Another drawback from a user perspective is the software would become slower, and several features would become less obvious. For example a move or copy to or a delete from Windows fonts folder requires admin rights, etc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NetHawk

Post by NetHawk »

To make that possible we need to make several complex changes in the software. Another drawback from a user perspective is the software would become slower, and several features would become less obvious. For example a move or copy to or a delete from Windows fonts folder requires admin rights, etc.
Good point! I think the actual behaviour is the best tradeoff then.