How can a font collector identify supported OpenType features?

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

How can a font collector identify supported OpenType features?

Post by Alfred »

Suppose you want to find out which of your fonts include petite caps, tabular figures or swashes. Is there a utility that will scan your font collection and compile a list of the ones which include a particular OpenType feature?
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How can a font collector identify supported OpenType features?

Post by PJMiller »

This sounds like a valid feature request for 'Main Type', perhaps you should ask Erwin.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The TrueType Viewer can view and test features (you need the download with the qt-mt230nc.dll), but it's dated and can only view one font at a time.

It would be a great feature to add to MainType.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

PJMiller wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:43 pm This sounds like a valid feature request for 'Main Type', perhaps you should ask Erwin.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm It would be a great feature to add to MainType.
Thanks for your support, gentlemen. Edit: And thanks to Bhikkhu Pesala for moving the thread from the General Font Discussions subforum.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Alfred wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm Suppose you want to find out which of your fonts include petite caps, tabular figures or swashes. Is there a utility that will scan your font collection and compile a list of the ones which include a particular OpenType feature?
Though I have not installed the support for it, I do believe there are some Python scripts that can do this and generate a text-based report. I wouldn't know where to find them now, but a post on Typedrawers would likely be answered fairly quick.

Mike
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

I support this request, it would be very usefull.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

MikeW wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:15 am
Alfred wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm Suppose you want to find out which of your fonts include petite caps, tabular figures or swashes. Is there a utility that will scan your font collection and compile a list of the ones which include a particular OpenType feature?
Though I have not installed the support for it, I do believe there are some Python scripts that can do this and generate a text-based report. I wouldn't know where to find them now, but a post on Typedrawers would likely be answered fairly quick.

Mike
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I haven't followed it up yet, but I may well do so quite soon – unless someone else gets there first!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This would indeed be a feature that suits MainType. I've been thinking about adding some support like the OpenType Preview feature as available in FontCreator, but that is per font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Thanks for the positive feedback, Erwin. It would be great to have this feature in MainType. :)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This has been implemented in MainType 8.0.

There is a column in views to show whether or not a font contains any OpenType features. The information panel can be used to compare OpenType features in different fonts.
Layout Compare.png
Layout Compare.png (68.91 KiB) Viewed 14689 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 am This has been implemented in MainType 8.0.
And, with the Professional edition, you can use an auto-populating view to select for OpenType features.