High DPI displays

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
artobest

High DPI displays

Post by artobest »

Hi

Do you have any plans to address the way MainType displays typefaces on high dpi screens (4K etc)? On my dell xps 15 4K screen it is horribly blurry - not unusable, but not far off. Luckily the new Windows Creator update offers improved scaling for non-optimised apps on high dpi displays, but MainType still falls far short of the way it used to appear on older screens, even my NEC 2K screen, which displayed the font previews very crisply.

Thanks!

Peter
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: High DPI displays

Post by PJMiller »

I also have a High DPI screen on my laptop, it is 3200 x 1800. I have encountered the problem you describe, if it is the same problem then it can't be cured but it can be reduced.

The problem is with the screen scaling factor in Windows 10. The GUI components Erwin uses on Main Type don't interact with the High DPI screens very well and so for some screen scaling factors the display can become very blurred. A scale factor of 100% is sharp but the GUI elements and text are very small, 200% and 300% are also sharp. 150% and 250% are quite fuzzy but the worst settings are 125%, 175% and 225% these are very blurred.

There are more pixels on the screen than the program thinks there are so I think the operating system does some sort of interpolation for the physical pixels on the screen and I think it doesn't do it very well for ratios which are not an exact multiple.

Hope this helps.

P.S. These comments are for my setup, an Asus laptop which runs Windows 10 and has a screen of 3200 x 1800 with a ViewSonic VX2475SMHL-4K 24-Inch Monitor with 3840 x 2160 resolution, both are set to a scaling factor of 200%, if you have different hardware things might render differently.
Last edited by PJMiller on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
shereenann

Post by shereenann »

Hello,

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 which has a 14 inch WQHD (2560x1440) screen.

I really need a good font manager for my graphic design business and yours was highly recommended. But when I downloaded a version, I'm running into similar problems - all the fonts look very bit-mapped and "jaggy" - so it is hard to use unless the preview screen in the software becomes better. Any fixes for this? I do love the functionality and many features of your font manager but the fonts and texts are just not showing well. Does it get any better with the paid (as opposed to free download) version? Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

HiDPI support is now available in MainType 8.0.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486