[FIXED] Some GSUB substitutions not displaying in Preview window

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
graphity

[FIXED] Some GSUB substitutions not displaying in Preview window

Post by graphity »

Hi, I'm honestly not sure if this is a bug or not because I'm aware that the Font Creator Preview window does not necessarily give a full 100% representation of absolutely all features. I'm working with a Devanagari designed for the Universal Shaping Engine's Indic implementation. One of the lookups in one of my features is just not displaying in the Preview window as it is supposed to - the programmed GSUB substitutions are not occurring. These same substitutions work just fine in applications eg Word. They also work fine in FontLab and in DTL OT Master. But for some reason not in Font Creator. The feature is a fairly basic one - Below Base Substitutions (blws). The substitutions are quite "legal" and the feature syntax checks out 100% in Font Creator. Any ideas? Regards, Kevin.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Some GSUB substitutions not displaying in Preview window

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe the feature is not connected with the correct script. Can you send us the project file along with a sample text to test?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
graphity

Post by graphity »

Thanks for your offer of assistance. As the project is commercial in nature and still in development I need to request a means of sending the file privately. Please let me know how I can send an attachment privately to you. Regards, Kevin.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
graphity

Post by graphity »

Done! Thanks. regards, Kevin,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not sure but I suspect FontCreator was a bit too strict as it didn't allow ligature combinations with Simple and Mark glyphs. We'll remove that check with the next upcoming release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
graphity

Post by graphity »

Such a restriction ie blocking Simple to Mark ligatures would certainly explain why this strange issue is occurring. Using Lookup Type 4 for Simple to Mark and Mark to Mark ligatures is definitely part of the standard methodology for Devanagari script - see Microsoft's doc "Developing OpenType Fonts for Devanagari Scripts". Looking forward to the fix. Many Thanks. Regards, Kevin.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This issues has been fixed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology