[CLOSED] Can't save font if it is selected in MainType.

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

[CLOSED] Can't save font if it is selected in MainType.

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

Often we browse the fonts in MainType and jump to FontCreator with the shortcut provided us in MainType.

This isn't a REAL bug, because both programs work perfectly. But it isn't a feature request either, I think.

Wouldn't it be nice if while that font was yet selected in MainType, we could still SAVE changes to it in FontCreator?

Right now you get the error because another application is using the file. You ARE ABLE to save changes to the font, however, if you leave MainType's selection on a font other than the one you are saving.

God bless!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I ran into this one too and reported somewhere. Is it a bug in MainType, in FontCreator, or in Windows? ;)

I think it is a feature request for Font Creator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

My experience is that

Post by Dick Pape »

I find the application that holds onto the font and precludes another save is either Font Creator or MainType depending...

To save a font you have bene working on from another app, if you quit FC (or perhaps opening a new font), you can resave it. This seemingly is caused by FC trying to remember the last processed font.

If you move the focus/cursor in MainType to "the prior page", you can save it from FC.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

I have found consistently that if you have the font selected (open) in MainType that FC won't be able to save the font. If you select (open) any other font in MT, then you will be able to save the font in FC and then return to MT - it *is not* necessary to close FC.

I am not sure if it is a Windows bug or not: there are some files that you can open in two programs at the same time, like txt files. If FC could save the file, I think that MT would have to have a "looser" grip on it. Perhaps if, when MT loses focus that it momentarily loose its knowledge that the font is open in it? Pardon my ignorance.