[CLOSED] Unable to map characters into "Plane 15 Private Use"

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
jkrzywicki

[CLOSED] Unable to map characters into "Plane 15 Private Use"

Post by jkrzywicki »

Hello,

I am having some trouble mapping new characters into the Private Use area. I am creating special graphical characters which do not make sense to be mapped into the regular space.

After completing glyph creation successfully, I attempt to add them into the Plane 15 Private Use Area, starting with value $F0001. The mapping seems to be there, until I click on OK. If I re-visit the glyph I just mapped, the mapping always changes to $0000 <control>. I am having no issues with mapping the glyphs anywhere else in the font space.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have on resolving this issue...

Jacek
Erwin Denissen

Re: Unable to map characters into "Plane 15 Private Use"

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suspect you try to add the mapping to the Windows Unicode BMP (UCS-2) platform. That mapping only accepts values between 0 and 65535, so that will fail. Instead you need to add the Windows Unicode UCS-4 platform.

Have you added the new character through the Insert Character feature?

See this topic about inserting characters:
viewtopic.php?t=1217
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jkrzywicki

Post by jkrzywicki »

Hello Erwin,

Thank you for your suggestion... I looked at the link you suggested, but I was not able to insert a custom character from the $F0000 block.

What seems to be happening, is that I am unable to use any of the character values in the supplementary area blocks. There is a range start, range end, but no characters to select.

When I attempt to do this with other blocks, I can select a character and add the mapping without any problems. Is this a limitation of the supplementary area blocks?

Thanks,

Jacek
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

jkrzywicki wrote:What seems to be happening, is that I am unable to use any of the character values in the supplementary area blocks. There is a range start, range end, but no characters to select.

When I attempt to do this with other blocks, I can select a character and add the mapping without any problems. Is this a limitation of the supplementary area blocks?
All defined characters can be selected. The private use area is for private use.

But it looks like you are referring to the Character to Glyph Index Mappings dialog, while I suggested you to try the Insert Characters feature.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology