[Resolved] New version hangs - many contours

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
dkoehler

[Resolved] New version hangs - many contours

Post by dkoehler »

It seems that with the new version, whenever you have a complex glyph the application becomes extremely non-responsive. This didn't occur with the initial release of v6 but the new releases make creating complex glyphs almost impossible.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New version hangs - many contours

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I ran a test on a moderately complex glyph with 89 contours and 1271 points, comparing the performance in FontCreator 5.6 and FontCreator 6.1 build 216. In both cases, real-time validation was on, and in Tools, Options, Validation, Global detection was enabled.

Double-clicking on the glyph in the overview window took about 8 seconds to open in FontCreator 6.1 while in version 5.6 it took about 1 second.

Scrolling left and right between complex glyphs in the glyph edit window is another good way to test this. Ctrl A to select all in the glyph edit window also shows a signficant delay in FontCreator 6.1

There is clearly a signficant problem here for anyone editing complex glyphs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Right now we can't improve the performance, so I suggest you turn of validation features for complex glyphs. You can made such changes in the Options window -> Validation.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

Thanks for looking into this problem. I hope this can be fixed in the next release. Validation is a very important feature and changing the parameters of validation each time is not very efficient when working on a complex font.
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

Thought I should let you know that the performance around complex glyphs has greatly improved with this latest release! :D
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

I agree.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't recall we did something to improve this... Anyway we're glad to know you enjoy the latest release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology