[CLOSED] Install Font Hangs after Launching Control Panel

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
dkoehler

[CLOSED] Install Font Hangs after Launching Control Panel

Post by dkoehler »

In the last versions (installed the lasted dot release today) when you install a previously installed font from the application it hangs on the final step. Here's the scenario:
a) select install font
b) select to open control panel in order to delete the font
c) delete font from control panel then click continue
d) click "finish" button in the "Font Installation Wizzard"
e) at this point, the application hangs - the only way to continue is to force the application to end using the system's task manager (note that the Task Manager indicates the application is waiting for a user response however there's no way to access that dialog box)
Erwin Denissen

Re: Install Font Hangs after Launching Control Panel

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suspect the font installation succeeded, but the message box is hidden behind FontCreator's main window. We've seen this behavior before with other messages boxes and even with other windows, but so far we haven't solved this issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

Thanks - you're correct in that when verifying Font Control Panel after force-aborting the application, the font is installed correctly.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This issue should be fixed with the version we've released earlier today.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

Thanks - this appears to have been fixed in the lasted release (build 220).
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

I installed the latest version released this week (build 225) and this problem has resurfaced. The font does install however I have to force the application to quit using the task manager in order to continue or get out of the dialog box.

After posting this, I saw 226 was available so I installed it but the problem persists in this version as well.

thanks for looking into this,
Denise
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you show us a screenshot of the blocking state of FontCreator, so we can be sure we fully understand the issue?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

I've attached a screenshot but the really important ones don't response to the screenshot command. Basically, the steps are:

a) install font
b) check the box to launch the Font Control Panel
c) dialog box (User Account Control) = Font Logic needs your permission - I click continue
d) Control Panel opens, I remove the font then close the control panel
e) I'm brought back to the FL dialog box to Finish installation process however this dialog box is now frozen (none of the buttons can be activated.
f) From this point, I just hang. When I force quit, Windows Task manager reports that FL is waiting for permission however there is no such dialog box available anywhere.

NOTE that this problem is persistent whether the font is installed or not - that is, if I remove the font from the Control Panel before attempting to install from High Logic, the same problem occurs. In addition, please note that I have restarted my system (Windows Vista) a couple of times since installing the update.
thanks,
Attachments
install_font dialog
install_font dialog
install_font_screen.jpg (203.09 KiB) Viewed 13961 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

c) dialog box (User Account Control) = Font Logic needs your permission - I click continue
d) Control Panel opens, I remove the font then close the control panel
You only have to give permission after the control panel opened and you click the Finish button in FontCreator. Or is it really how it behaves on your system?

Also can you send a full screenshot so we can see the buttons as well?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
dkoehler

Post by dkoehler »

The problem has somehow gone away. Basically, it was hanging after I gave the system permission to remove the font and got confirmation that it was successfully removed. At that point, the dialog box in this thread appeared. Although the buttons appeared active, the screen/program was frozen. For the time being, the problem may have gone away as it's operating as it should again.
Attachments
install_font.jpg
install_font.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 13951 times
mareyc

Post by mareyc »

This is just what is happening when I want to install a font... the program freezes. When I go to another program to see if the font is installed, I can't open fontcreator. The shortcut still exists on the bottom of my screen (toolbar?), but clicking on it won't help to open the program. So when I want to see the messagebox I can't find it... I give the program permission to install the font, and after I click on the 'finish' button, nothing works at fontcreator. The program freezes.
The only way to close the program is when I force quit, and when I force quit Windows Task manager reports that FL is waiting for permission however there is no such dialog box available anywhere...
Hope you are able to help me (I'm dutch, so when you want to answer me in Dutch, I will be very happy (it's easier to understand ;) )) The fun in working with fontcreator is getting less...
greetings and tia,

Anna
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you install the font through Windows fonts folder, or with a font manager (like our MainType)?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
mareyc

Post by mareyc »

Yes, I can install the font in windows-> fonts...
mareyc

Post by mareyc »

Yes, and I can install the font with maintype... (it's so much easier than fontviewer!) It's a pity that my clients can't say in 30 days which font they use in their logo's... ;o)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Anna,

I don't think we will be able to solve the install issue you have with FontCreator. I'm glad you have found a good alternative with our font manager :wink:

Sooner or later we will let FontCreator communicate with the core of our font manager, so the problem will eventually go away. Note that it might take some time before this is actually implemented.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology