[FIXED] Insert glyph action differs right-click vs toolbar

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
jamadagni

[FIXED] Insert glyph action differs right-click vs toolbar

Post by jamadagni »

In the Glyph Overview window if I right-click on a glyph and say "Add", obviously meaning "Add glyph", it adds an empty glyph after the selected glyph. OTOH if I use the toolbar button having the same icon, it adds a glyph before the selected glyph. This behaviour is inconsistent.

Of course, the menu item Insert > Glyphs provides full control whether to add before or after etc, but I would expect the toolbar button to behave the same way as the right-click menu item. Please fix this. Thank you.
Shriramana Sharma
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Insert glyph action differs from right-click vs toolbar

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The right-click menu item says "Add." The toolbar icon tooltip says "Insert."

I am also inconsistent, but not always. :)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jamadagni

Post by jamadagni »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The right-click menu item says "Add." The toolbar icon tooltip says "Insert."
I am also inconsistent, but not always. :)
The point is, the icon is the same, and there is no meaning to having differing behaviour. Anyone who wanted to "Insert" would go to the "Insert" menu.
Shriramana Sharma
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for letting us know. This will be made more consistent.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

jamadagni wrote:Anyone who wanted to "Insert" would go to the "Insert" menu.
I wouldn't — I would use the insert glyph icon on the toolbar. If I wanted to add a glyph after the current glyph I could use the right-click menu, but I would probably use the Insert glyphs dialogue or simply select the next glyph.

Changing the context menu action to "Insert" would make the behaviour consistent, but then those who currently use the context menu may be unhappy about the change. Changing the toolbar action to "Add" would also make the behaviour consistent, but then those who currently use the toolbar may not like the change.

With the "Add" method its impossible (without using the dialogue) to Insert a glyph before the first glyph. With the "Insert" toolbar method its possible to add a glyph after the last glyph by clicking the blank space to deselect the last glyph. So changing the context menu to "Insert" is the best option.

I would vote for no change. Users tend to prefer one method (toolbars or menus) over another, so the current inconsistency is only a problem for those who alternate between both methods.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jamadagni

Post by jamadagni »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I would vote for no change. Users tend to prefer one method (toolbars or menus) over another, so the current inconsistency is only a problem for those who alternate between both methods.
Sir, why does the program provide multiple methods? To let people use whichever is convenient to them at any given point of time. Given this, it should certainly be consistent. Having the same icon for a context menu item and a toolbar item and giving them different behaviours is bad programming behaviour IMHO.

If you think there are two sets of users, those who want insert (before) and those who want add (after), then you had better provide both in both the context menu and toolbar. Otherwise, implement a consistent behaviour.
Shriramana Sharma
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You are the first to report this bug since FontCreator 5.5 (with new toolbar icons) was released six years ago on May 30, 2006, so its obviously not something that affects many users.

I agree that the behaviour is inconsistent, but I don't agree that its a problem. Erwin has said that it will be made more consistent, but then one or other type of users who never even noticed this bug before because they consistently used the toolbar icon, or consistently used the context menu will be affected by the change in behaviour.

Adding both "Insert" and "Add" to both toolbar and context menu won't help anyone, but will hinder both types of users.

Changing the context menu item to "Insert glyph" is probably the least disruptive change if any change at all is to be made.