[Resolved] Failed to open attached ttf font

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Mol.Alva

[Resolved] Failed to open attached ttf font

Post by Mol.Alva »

Hi.
Failed to open attached ttf font and got a error message box.
Attached the ttf file and screenshot. This file is created by MS software and can be opened by FontLib.

Can you please look into the issue? Thanks for your help.
Attachments
0001.png
0001.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Failed to open attached ttf font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

That font is corrupt. Do contact the font vendor and ask for a valid font file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hmmmm. Here's what it looks like...
72lr.jpg
72lr.jpg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 10478 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've removed the font file from our forum, as it seems it is a modified version of Calibri, and I don't think Microsoft allows us to distribute their fonts, original or not.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dogmatix

Post by Dogmatix »

I also had this error message when attempting to open a font of the Calibri family.

After digging out old versions, it look like the problem starts with the larger version of Calibri which comes with later versions of MS Office. This is version 5.62 from 2008, containing 2157 characters / 3874 glyphs. Older versions 1.02 and 5.00 from 2006 containing only 641 characters / 1120 glyphs are not affected.

Is it a bug, or is it a feature? Maybe only Microsoft knows.... and probably won't tell....
Last edited by Dogmatix on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
(FontCreator 6.5 - MainType 4.5 - Windows XP)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

On my system the Calibri fonts open just fine in FontCreator.

Can you please provide more information about the way you open the fonts, and what exact error message you see?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dogmatix

Post by Dogmatix »

The error message I see is similar to the one shown in the first post - it tells me that the file "cannot be identified as a font file" when I try to open it (FontCreator 5.5, Windows XP). As I said, it affects only the recent, large version of the font, in all four varieties (regular, bold, italic, bold italic), but the Light version is not affected. MainType has no problems with the font.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My version of the Calibri fonts dated 11/09/2006 (downloaded with a free PowerPoint Viewer), open fine in FontCreator 5.6 and later versions of FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I see. FontCreator 5.5 is really outdated, as it was released back in May 2006.

The fonts open just fine with more recent versions, even with Font Creator 5.6. You can freely update from 5.5 to 5.6 if you wish (get version 5.6 here), or if you want to move forward do consider upgrading to version 6.5.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dogmatix

Post by Dogmatix »

Erwin Denissen wrote:You can freely update from 5.5 to 5.6 if you wish (get version 5.6 here)
Thanks... but that link goes to the "Retrieve lost registration code(s)" page...
Erwin Denissen wrote:or if you want to move forward do consider upgrading to version 6.5.
I have 5.5 Professional version. To upgrade would cost $99. I'm not sure that I need to upgrade... what is in 6.5 that isn't in 5.5 (or 5.6) that makes it worth upgrading?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Dogmatix wrote:Thanks... but that link goes to the "Retrieve lost registration code(s)" page...
As it says on that page:

You can retrieve your registration code(s) using the form below. You need to fill in either your e-mail address you supplied when you ordered our product(s) OR the transaction ID. The registration code(s) along with the appropriate download link to your version of the software will then be mailed to you within 15 minutes.

Please note that registration codes older than 5 years are no longer stored on our system and can therefor not be retrieved.
Dogmatix wrote:I have 5.5 Professional version. To upgrade would cost $99. I'm not sure that I need to upgrade... what is in 6.5 that isn't in 5.5 (or 5.6) that makes it worth upgrading?
See the review in my signature.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dogmatix

Post by Dogmatix »

OK, you convinced me... I now have 6.5 (and yes, it opens the big version of Calibri)!