[CLOSED] Thai combined characters displayed incorrectly

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
altica

[CLOSED] Thai combined characters displayed incorrectly

Post by altica »

Hello,

I am using NotoSans Thai font in a project and I discovered that combined characters are displayed wrong in FontCreator, but they are displayed ok in MS Word 2013.
The text I use for test is "อย่าเปิดศึก" and the ปิ character should have the vowel on top separate from the vertical line, however in FontCreator they are displayed linked.

Can you please help me understand why is that and how I can fix it?

thanks,
Alex
Attachments
NotoSansThai-Regular.ttf
font used
(28.89 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
correct display in MS Word
correct display in MS Word
snap4402.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
incorrect display in FontCreator
incorrect display in FontCreator
snap4401.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Thai combined characters displayed incorrectly

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The attached font contains no positioning data by means of which FontCreator could know how to position the vowels.
If I open the Windows Thai font JasminUPC, then the OpenType Designer shows that it contains Mark to Base positioning features to move the vowel by 200 funits to the left.
Mark to Base Positioning.png
Mark to Base Positioning.png (98.55 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Which version of FontCreator are you using?

Is this the original font, or one that you have saved from FontCreator after opening it to edit?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The attached font contains no positioning data by means of which FontCreator could know how to position the vowels.
I wondered about that too. I don't have MS Word, but if I paste the test text into WordPad it tells me that it's using CordiaUPC and it displays the vowel further to the left than in the OP's example; if I change the font to Noto Sans Thai it has the vowel ('Thai character sara i', $0E34) butting up against the vertical stroke of the character below it ('Thai character po pla', $0E1B) just as in the FontCreator preview pane.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Which version of FontCreator are you using?
I see the same in FC7.5 and FC8.0.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Is this the original font, or one that you have saved from FontCreator after opening it to edit?
For my tests, I downloaded the original font from Google and installed it in Windows; I get a similar result with Quivira. In both Noto Sans Thai and Quivira, the left side bearing for the vowel glyph has a large negative value.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Preview panel only supports pair adjustments, but it looks perfect to me within the OpenType Designer:
Thai.png
Thai.png (95.69 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Do you seem something different?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology