[FIXED] Cannot save project with 10.1

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
BabelStone

[FIXED] Cannot save project with 10.1

Post by BabelStone »

I have just installed FontCreator 10.1, and I am unable to save an existing project for my very large BabelStone Han font (43,542 glyphs) -- after about 30 seconds I get an "Out of memory" error. I never had a problem with 10.0 or earlier versions.

Andrew
Erwin Denissen

Re: Cannot save project with 10.1

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm very sorry about the inconvenience.

We have made several changes to the way we store outlines in font project files. Even though we did test with large files, it looks like your font is bigger or more complex.

Could you send the project file to me, or make it available for download? we'll only use it for testing purposes.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Thanks for the quick response. I have sent a link to the project file to customersupport.

Andrew
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Got it.

I'll get back to you as soon as we have located the problem and hopefully can provide a solution as well.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

So we've looked into this issue and can see the font is really huge. In most cases it isn't a problem, but FontCreator will need 700MB to open and use the font. On saving the font as project, it requires an additional 500MB which might be too much if you have opened several fonts. We were able to save the project file, so can you let us know if you can open and save the font project if it is the only font open in FontCreator?

Earlier versions of FontCreator used less memory for saving font projects, because font outlines were stored in a different manner.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

I closed all other applications, and I was able to save the project after two attempts. Another issue is the progress bar goes straight to full when you hit Save, and stays at full until the save has completed. At present 10.1 offers no advantage over 10.0 for me, so I will stay with 10.0.

Andrew
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Later I made some changes to the project, and when I tried to save the project I got the "Out of memory" error message again. FontCreator was the only application running, and I only had the one project open. My computer is a new laptop with plenty of memory, and when I looked at task manager Font Creator was only using 40% of memory (900+MB) at most when trying to save. I hope you are able to provide a fix for this issue or I will not be able to use FontCreator if you add useful new features in the future.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've released a maintenance release just a minute ago which has several improvements.

The amount of memory required to open and save a font has been reduced by more than 10% that should make a difference, so please update to the latest version (select Check for Updates) from the Help menu) and let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

The new release seems better, and I have not yet seen the "Out of memory" error after doing half an hour of editing and saving several times. However, the progress bar still goes straight to full, and remains at full for about 30 seconds whilst the project is saved.

Additionally, the forward and backward buttons do not work as they did in 10.0 -- now when I search for a character and open the glyph edit window both arrows are disabled when they used to allow you to move to adjacent characters (which I often want to do).

I also have to say that I really hate the huge bubble-like point markers. I much prefer the small point markers in earlier versions of FontCreator. I did not think the big markers in 10.0 were an improvement, and find these even more distracting and intrusive. Can you add an option to use small markers?

Andrew
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

BabelStone wrote:I also have to say that I really hate the huge bubble-like point markers. I much prefer the small point markers in earlier versions of FontCreator. I did not think the big markers in 10.0 were an improvement, and find these even more distracting and intrusive. Can you add an option to use small markers?

Andrew
Do give it some time. You may grow to like them. The large green nodes give useful feedback if the curve is smooth.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

BabelStone wrote:The new release seems better, and I have not yet seen the "Out of memory" error after doing half an hour of editing and saving several times.
That is great!
BabelStone wrote:However, the progress bar still goes straight to full, and remains at full for about 30 seconds whilst the project is saved.
Well, estimating which parts of the save related tasks takes most time is a big guess, and in this case it is clearly plain wrong. I'll see if we can improve it, but it might break it for more common fonts.
BabelStone wrote:Additionally, the forward and backward buttons do not work as they did in 10.0 -- now when I search for a character and open the glyph edit window both arrows are disabled when they used to allow you to move to adjacent characters (which I often want to do).
I think it would be best if we'd implement another search method: search inside the current selected category, while keeping the category active.
BabelStone wrote:I also have to say that I really hate the huge bubble-like point markers. I much prefer the small point markers in earlier versions of FontCreator. I did not think the big markers in 10.0 were an improvement, and find these even more distracting and intrusive. Can you add an option to use small markers?
People with high res screens do complain about the tiny markers. I'll see if we can add an option, to choose between small and large ones.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

BabelStone wrote:I hope you are able to provide a fix for this issue or I will not be able to use FontCreator if you add useful new features in the future.
FontCreator 10.1 already comes with numerous enhancements :D

In case you haven't noticed it, the improved validation features do work a lot better. Take a look at the glyphs: 1107, 1867, 2895, 8827, 31245. Take a look at them in both FC10.0 and FC10.1. The contour direction detection is very accurate.
glyph index 1867
glyph index 1867
incorrectcontourdirection.png (23.01 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
BabelStone wrote:Additionally, the forward and backward buttons do not work as they did in 10.0 -- now when I search for a character and open the glyph edit window both arrows are disabled when they used to allow you to move to adjacent characters (which I often want to do).
I think it would be best if we'd implement another search method: search inside the current selected category, while keeping the category active.
I have always thought that the "Find" command would be better if it just located the searched glyph in the glyph list without filtering it at all. However, there are situations where filtering the list is useful, e.g. if I want to edit all glyphs with ogonek. Perhaps a checkbox on the Find dialogue could switch modes?

If the "Used By" dialogue would open a filtered list of glyphs, instead of allowing users to select only one composite glyph, that would be much more useful too.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Erwin Denissen wrote:In case you haven't noticed it, the improved validation features do work a lot better. Take a look at the glyphs: 1107, 1867, 2895, 8827, 31245. Take a look at them in both FC10.0 and FC10.1. The contour direction detection is very accurate.
Yes, I found it impossible to correctly validate the contour direction of this and a couple of hundred similar characters with 10.0, and I will certainly revalidate using 10.1.
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I have always thought that the "Find" command would be better if it just located the searched glyph in the glyph list without filtering it at all.
I also miss the old find function (which I had with v. 5.6 I think), as there are often times when I want to look at a character in the context of its surrounding characters and not just by itself. In v. 10 the left and right arrows at least let me browse to the surrounding characters, but with 10.1 if I find character A, in order to look at the character next to it I have to do a new search. For me this is a backwards step.