[CLOSED] Glyphs do not show up in applications

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
KarlP

[CLOSED] Glyphs do not show up in applications

Post by KarlP »

I have created the attached font which contains some keyboard symbols according to the parts of the international standard series ISO/IEC 9995. I did this mainly by importing the information from the original PDFs. In FontCreator, all seems to be OK (see attached screenshot where some affected symbols are marked). In applications (e.g. MainType, see attached schreenshot with the same symbols marked), instead of my glyphs there show up glyphs from another fonts (presumably system default fonts) for all Unicode areas except for Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, and the PUA, except for some symbols in the Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows area for which no other font on my system containns glyphs. What went wrong?
Attachments
MainType Screenshot.png
MainType Screenshot.png (651.22 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
FontCreator Screenshot.png
FontCreator Screenshot.png (162.16 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
ISOIEC-9995-Keyboard-1-V1.fcp
(29.94 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
ISOIEC-9995-Keyboard-1-V1.ttf
(46.24 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Glyphs do not show up in applications

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do uncheck the "Automatically update character ranges when exporting font" as available on the Ranges tab within the Font Properties dialog.

Also do manually check the "Private Use Area" range from the Unicode Character Ranges.

I think that should do the trick.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
KarlP

Post by KarlP »

Thank you, but sorry, id did not work. No change.
(In the meanwhile, to continue my work, I copied all characters which showed that problem into PUA characters within the same font and used them instead of the original codepoints in my work – simply by copy+pasting the glyph cells and assigning the new Unicode values to the copies within the Glyph property window. This worked, thus the problem is not with the glyph definitions.)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I spotted another issue:

Do uncheck "Bold" as all other settings state it is a regular font:
regularbold.png
regularbold.png (22.51 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
KarlP

Post by KarlP »

Thank you, again. The Bold flag obviously was an error which I overlooked – however, correcting this did not help. I uninstalled the old font and then deleted all according files in \Windows\fonts, restarted the computer, and installed the corrected font, to be sure that there are no cache problems. I inserted the guillemets in a Word document and saw the wrong glyphs for the single guillemets in normal as well as in bold.
Attachments
Word screenshot.png
Word screenshot.png (30.36 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

KarlP wrote:I inserted the guillemets in a Word document and saw the wrong glyphs for the single guillemets in normal as well as in bold.
Your font doesn't contain the < and >. Maybe you tried to type those.

It will work just fine, if you use the real ones as shown below (copy and paste them).

‹›«»
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
KarlP

Post by KarlP »

It is true that my font does not contain < > (less than / greater than). It is a collection of keyboard symbols standardized in ISO/IEC 9995-7, Amd 1 of that, and 9995-10, together with some base characters for these symbols and some predefined combinations. I have checked the original Word document from my last post by changing the font to Times New Roman to be sure that my document in fact contains guillemets (which I entered by AtrGr+y, AltGr+x, AltGr+v, AltGr+b on a German "T2" standard keyboard, see "T2 (Tastaturbelegung)" in the German wikipedia or "German keyboard layout" in the English one). Thus, the problem persists. (I somehow suspect that the font is marked as a "Symbol" font which causes Windows to prefer characters from "real text fonts" if they are available, but I neither know whether such a mechanism in fact exists, nor do I find anything like that in the Font properties.)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

As I told you it works here on my PC. Copy and paste these in a Word document, select the text and then set the font. I used the attached font.

‹›«»

If it still fails, do provide a sample Word document, so I can further test this.
Attachments
ISOIEC-9995-Keyboard-1-HL.ttf
(46.52 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology