[FIXED] 64-bit version loses code-point mappings for supra-BMP characters

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
BabelStone

[FIXED] 64-bit version loses code-point mappings for supra-BMP characters

Post by BabelStone »

I have been using the 64-bit version of Font Creator 11.0 this evening to edit my large Chinese font, which has nearly 14,000 characters outside the BMP (i.e. greater than U+FFFF), and on two occasions after saving the project all the supra-BMP characters in the font lost their code-point mappings. The problem does not occur every time I save the font project, but it did occur twice in three hours. I do not know whether this problem is specific to the 64-bit version or also occurs in the 32-bit version as I cannot save the project file for my large Chinese font with the 32-bit version.

Andrew
BabelStone

Re: 64-bit version loses code-point mappings for supra-BMP characters

Post by BabelStone »

The problem also occurs with the 32-bit version. I opened the ttf font file for my large Chinese font in Font Creator 32-bit (all code-point mappings are correct). Then I export the font under a new name, and when I open the new ttf font file code-point mappings for all supra-BMP characters have been lost. This behaviour does not occur with the beta version build 2334, with which I can open and export the same font with no loss of mappings.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We are very sorry, it seems a last minute change caused this stupid but serious bug :oops:

I'm glad you found it this fast! The bug also affects saved font projects, so it will be fixed with the next upcoming update which will be released later today.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've fixed the issue, so do use Check for Updates to get the latest release.

If your fonts are affected by this bug and you've lost character to glyph index mappings, then it is easiest to use a backup to restore the code-points.

These steps might also help to restore missing code-points:
  • Open a previous release of the font. Ensure the glyphs are in the same order.
  • Select all glyphs (characters) that are affected
  • Copy them to the clipboard
  • Now go to the current release and use paste special to only paste the code-points (with option "Overrule same code-points")
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
BabelStone

Post by BabelStone »

Hi Erwin,

Thank you very much for the quick fix. I'm not having any problems with the new version.

Andrew