[CLOSED] New Symbol font created with FontCreator 11.5 won't load in Windows

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
prevoj

[CLOSED] New Symbol font created with FontCreator 11.5 won't load in Windows

Post by prevoj »

I'm new to FontCreator but have a lot of experience with fonts (and their internals). I'm using FontCreator Professional 11.5 and I am creating a Symbol font vs a UNICODE font. I know that UNICODE is the preferred method but we specifically need a Symbol font for the product this font will be used with.

I created a Symbol font and then exported it to TTF. Windows will not preview or install the font. It says that it is not a valid font file. I used Microsoft's ttfdump utility and it appears that the problem is that the TrueType 'name' table inside the font is empty. I've fully filled in the Identification and Legal tabs in the Font Properties dialog. I've tried checking and unchecking the "Generate the following naming fields automatically" box. But every time I export from the project to TTF or OTF, Windows won'l load the font.

I have found a workaround. Once I export the font, I can open that newly exported TTF file in FontCreator, refill the info in the Identification tab on Font Properties, export that to another font, and tada! I have my font in a format that Windows will load. If I do another ttfdump of this second font, it has the required entries in the 'name' table.

I tried adding the needed 'name' table entries in the Custom Additional Naming Fields, but FontCreator complains that I can't define a standard name in the custom fields. That would be fine if FontCreator would output those standard fields for me in the first place!

While I now have a workaround, it is very tedious and time consuming to re-import the font, re-enter the ID data, and re-export it again.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Erwin Denissen

Re: New Symbol font created with FontCreator 11.5 won't load in Windows

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you please send us the font project file, so we can reproduce and fix the issue?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
prevoj

Post by prevoj »

I have attached a simple symbol test case that illustrates the issue. To create this test case, I created a new font with FontCreator and told it to include outlines. Then I deleted glyphs 16 through the end. Then I converted it to a symbol font. Then I opened Font Properties and set everything there. Then I saved the project and then exported to TTF. The new TTF font fails to load because it has no entries in the 'name' table in the TTF file.
Attachments
SymbolTest.fcp
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've used the font project file and also followed your instructions, but both export a valid symbol font.

You might have changed some font properties that are specific to a symbol font. Please can you send us a copy of the corrupt font file?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
prevoj

Post by prevoj »

OK, that is odd that it works for you. I just deleted the old TTF file, started FontCreator, opened the project I previously sent you, and the only thing I did after that was press Shift+Ctrl+E. It still creates a font that Windows won't load. I attached both file here in case something happened to the project I originally sent you.

Let me mention that FontCreator will still load the new TTF file that has problems. It's Windows that won't load it. Apparently, FontCreator doesn't have the same restriction that Windows has about the 'name' table entries that are required for loading.

This problem is 100% repeatable for me. Any Symbol font I create using FontCreator has the problem. However, I've created multiple UNICODE fonts and they all load so I am at a complete loss. I'm real familiar with the TrueType and OpenType specs so I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything I should that FontCreator will allow me to do to make a proper font.
Attachments
SymbolTest.ttf
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
SymbolTest.fcp
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It must be something we've fixed over the last couple of weeks, but haven't released yet.

We'll expect to release an update later this month, which should solve the issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
prevoj

Post by prevoj »

OK, I will wait and see if it gets fixed. At least, I have a workaround for now.
prevoj

Post by prevoj »

I got the new version of FontCreator (11.5.0.2430) and I still have the same problem. Can you please look at this again? I can cause it to happen repeatedly by the process described above. I've uninstalled the product and reinstalled it. I've installed it on a fresh virtual machine and it still has the problem. I don't understand why you can't repeat it. I literally can't find a way to not repeat the problem!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've looked into it again, and can confirm the issue. It is due to the auto hinter which somehow produces a corrupt font. For now disable autohinting on exporting the font and it should work.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
prevoj

Post by prevoj »

Thanks Erwin! I'll do that for now. It's a lot quicker than the workaround I was doing.