[CLOSED] "Find Glyph" fails when only a single character is entered

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
nabsltd

[CLOSED] "Find Glyph" fails when only a single character is entered

Post by nabsltd »

In FontCreator 11.5.0.2427, 64-bit:

Entering something like "O" in the "Find Glyph" finds only an exact match, even if "Exact match" is not checked.

I was trying to find all the various accented "O" characters in a font (because some were composite and some were not, and I wanted to fix that), but only the uppercase "O" is found. Regardless of the single character entered, the same sort of thing happens.

Although this may be a design decision to keep too many results from being found, because the "Exact match" checkbox exists, the behavior should be changed to always find all matches unless that checkbox is checked.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: "Find Glyph" fails when only a single character is entered

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Search for O*

Finding Glyphs
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
nabsltd

Re: [CLOSED] "Find Glyph" fails when only a single character is entered

Post by nabsltd »

Again, regardless of this being a design decision, it's not intuitive when there is are "exact match" and "case sensitive" check boxes.

Also, this means there is no way to disable the rudimentary wildcard support, which can be a problem because an asterisk is a perfectly valid character to be contained in a glyph name. Now there is no way to find such glyphs, because there is no way to escape the asterisk. There is also no way to find glyphs with names that contain a specific character in the middle, as "X*" looks at the beginning and "*X" looks at the end. "*X*" finds nothing.

It would be much better to include a "regex" checkbox that enabled that sort of feature, and allow the checkboxes to do what they say, just like every other application.