[CLOSED] Invalid PANOSE Settings

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
ClintGoss

[CLOSED] Invalid PANOSE Settings

Post by ClintGoss »

If the Font Properties => PANOSE => Value is set to 2-9-7-2-3-4-7-2-4-3 and you switch the Family Kind from 2 - Latin Text to 5 - Latin Symbol (Pictorial) (i.e. the Value is now 5-9-7-2-3-4-7-2-4-3), then the 3rd and 5th PANOSE field retain their values 7 and 3, which are not (technically) legal / defined in PANOSE v1. The two fields show a blank on the GUI, and the values of 5-9-7-2-3-4-7-2-4-3 are output to the OS2 PANOSE fields, which are (technically) not defined.

FCP could force all fields to be in-range legal values on any change of the first (Family Kind) field. The situation is further compounded since the Value field is free-form. FCP seems to appropriately limit each of the elements of the 10-tuple to be in the range of 0 to 255, but it is not bounded to the approved values appropriate to the Family Kind.

Maybe this is to allow PANOSE values beyond the officially defined ones?

This is a bit of a niggly ... but it brings up an interesting question (to me, at least) ...

** Please tell me ... *are* there PANOSE values beyond the version 1.0 spec defined somewhere??

-Clint
Erwin Denissen

Re: Invalid PANOSE Settings

Post by Erwin Denissen »

As you already noted, FontCreator shows blanks for undefined values. We could further restrict the Panose fields to only legitimate values, but we prefer to leave it up to the font designer.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ClintGoss

Re: Invalid PANOSE Settings

Post by ClintGoss »

Thanks Erwin!