[CLOSED] Advance Width of Space

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
ClintGoss

[CLOSED] Advance Width of Space

Post by ClintGoss »

Font Creator Pro 12.0.0.2567 Tools => Auto Metrics => Fixed Width does not set the advance width (ADW) of space (or I think any glyphs with no contours).

I'm changing the ADW by +1 ... have not tried other situations.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Advance Width of Space

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I do not think this is a bug. Autometrics, fixed width is for Tabular Figures, not for monospaced fonts.

Use the glyph transformer to set the advance width for selected glyphs, adjusting the side-bearings as you wish.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:59 am ... fixed width is for Tabular Figures ...
Hmmm. Well FC does let me select all the characters in my font, not just the Figures. And it does correctly set the ADW. So I'm thinking that the functionality was intended to be there ... it just does not do anything if the glyph has no contours. So, from my perspective, it does seem like a program feature that didn't work in that situation.
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

And ... it's easy for me to fix things for those empty glyphs ... if I know this is the behavior. What happened is that I was not aware of this behavior, and just happened to notice the ADW on $A0/NBSP was not updated. Whew!

So maybe a note in the manual would help?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will add this to the manual:
Glyphs without outlines are excluded.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology