[CLOSED] Exception in Glyph Transformer with '.' rather than ','

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
ClintGoss

[CLOSED] Exception in Glyph Transformer with '.' rather than ','

Post by ClintGoss »

I mistakenly used a "." (full stop aka period) instead of a "," (comma) to separate code points in the Override Range by Code Point(s) Glyph Transformation, and got an exception (and no clue as to the cause). Don't know if it affects other list-oriented Glyph Transforms.

I did try the checkbox and it was silent ...
Erwin Denissen

Re: Exception in Glyph Transformer with '.' rather than ','

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You need to buy and install the Show Error extension.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

... or I should get better glasses ...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think Erwin is teasing us. :lol:

Here are some new glasses for you. 🍺🍺

If I am editing long Glyph Transform scripts, I often copy them to Notepad, where I can set the font size. However, in the OT Designer you can choose the font.
OpenType Designer Settings.png
OpenType Designer Settings.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ClintGoss wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm ... or I should get better glasses ...
Same here 8)

Anyway, we switched from one exception handler to another a couple of months ago. That was a good move, but it seems they all have their specific quirks...

I think this update solves the problem, in the sense that it now shows an error message box.

FontCreator 13.0.0.2662 (64-bit)

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. I get a useful error message to help me locate the problem.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

So maybe a group of typographers declaring publicly that they need new glasses is not the greatest form of marketing ... :lol:

Interesting behavior on 13.0.0.2663. In the Override Range by Code Point(s) glyph transformation:
  • if I have "$1234-$4567. $89" (a dot following a code point range) the glyph transform (both on the check button and on execution) will change the erroneous dot to a comma and do the right thing silently. Helpful.
  • If I have "$1234. $89" (a dot following a single code point) it will complain with a (valid) error message.
Both are OK, but different. Just pointing this out ... not a real bug (unless there is some relate issue ...)

Also ... wanted to mention that one very mildly annoying thing about upgrading to a new minor version: Noramally, [Save] (ctrl-S) on a .FCP file will simply save the file directly. However, after an upgrade, [Save] of a .FCP file become a [Save As], putting up a dialog box and asking you if you want to overwrite the file you are working on. Very minor thing, not really an issue ...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

ClintGoss wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 amAlso ... wanted to mention that one very mildly annoying thing about upgrading to a new minor version: Normally, [Save] (ctrl-S) on a .FCP file will simply save the file directly. However, after an upgrade, [Save] of a .FCP file become a [Save As], putting up a dialog box and asking you if you want to overwrite the file you are working on. Very minor thing, not really an issue ...
That happens because the new Font Project cannot be opened by older versions.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ClintGoss wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am Interesting behavior on 13.0.0.2663. In the Override Range by Code Point(s) glyph transformation:
  • if I have "$1234-$4567. $89" (a dot following a code point range) the glyph transform (both on the check button and on execution) will change the erroneous dot to a comma and do the right thing silently. Helpful.
  • If I have "$1234. $89" (a dot following a single code point) it will complain with a (valid) error message.
Both are OK, but different. Just pointing this out ... not a real bug (unless there is some relate issue ...)
This will be fixed with a next upcoming update.
ClintGoss wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am Also ... wanted to mention that one very mildly annoying thing about upgrading to a new minor version: Noramally, [Save] (ctrl-S) on a .FCP file will simply save the file directly. However, after an upgrade, [Save] of a .FCP file become a [Save As], putting up a dialog box and asking you if you want to overwrite the file you are working on. Very minor thing, not really an issue ...
Actually the font project files are not backwards compatible with earlier releases of FontCreator. That is why you need to go through this process. However, FontCreator should also have warned about this, but apparently it does not. Sorry about this now confusing behaviour. The reason for the upgraded project format, is the newly added PairPosFormat1 option for pair positioning.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: [CLOSED] Exception in Glyph Transformer with '.' rather than ','

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am
ClintGoss wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:23 am Interesting behavior on 13.0.0.2663. In the Override Range by Code Point(s) glyph transformation:
This will be fixed with a next upcoming update.
We have just released an update that solves the issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

Works perfectly in all the cases I could think of to test.

.. and I didn't even need the Show Error extension after all!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Does not seem to make any difference for decimal code-points.

Code: Select all

42802-42809. 42812. 42813, 42830, 42831, 42848, 42849, 61124, 61125, 61129-61131, 61133-61136, 61143-61148. 61150-61152, 61363-61374, 61378-61390, 61392, 64256-64262
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

I didn't think of testing decimal code points ... sorry!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Well, the codepoints should be separated by commas (or hyphens to add a range of characters). We will release another update that is less strict, so it also accepts codepoints separated by space characters.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Here is another update that should do the trick:

FontCreator 13.0.0.2665 (64-bit)

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology